Disadvantages of Politics in the Classroom

April 15, 2021

The way that schools teach their history classes has been a topic of discussion, specifically during the Trump administration. Last year, former U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order that worked towards ending what he deemed as an unpatriotic curriculum, naming it the 1776 Commission. This order put priority on a patriotic education while focusing on the freedom the United States stands for rather than the oppressive nature of the country’s history. 

In a history class, topics someone may deem political will be discussed. Therefore, different opinions on these topics will be encouraged by teachers to be shared among students. This can also lead to teachers sharing their opinions as well. During these conversations, if a teacher is not cautious, their opinion can be viewed as factual. This would ultimately lead to students without the same opinion feeling left out and discouraged. 

“Our key here is just to get the kids to develop their own political ideologies. We are not trying to indoctrinate them or have them believe one way or another.

— Michael O'Neill

The worry that many parents have when it comes to political conversations in school is that their children will be influenced to share the same opinions as the one in power. Teachers are a crucial part of learning for a majority of children, so it is vital for them to be aware of how they go about teaching politics and history in the classroom. 

“In my opinion, it should never be an adult in a room of a captive audience, people that have to be there and listen, telling them what to think, and maybe discouraging them from thinking for themselves, it should never be that,” Tesmond said. “It should always be the other way around, in which students and teachers can collectively share views and thoughts and process them together.”