Meet the newest additions to the teaching staff

Amy Klimkowski

Amy Klimkowski

How long have you been teaching?

This will be my ninth year teaching. I worked at Eisenhower Cooperative before that in Eisenhower Illinois.

What classes are you teaching?

I teach American Sign Language here at Metea and at Neuqua.

What inspired you to teach?

I got involved with teaching because I got my degree in deaf education and I worked with the deaf and hard of hearing population for many years. I got involved with teaching because I loved the language, I love American Sign Language, and I love the people. At my previous job I worked with the deaf and hard of hearing population and I taught the language to that population.

What’s your favorite season?

Winter

Vanessa Troiani

Vanessa Troiani

How long have you been teaching?

I taught for eight years between 2001 and 2009, and then I took some time off because I had children, in between that time and now I taught summer school for four years at Neuqua Valley High School and College of DuPage, I taught ACT classes for about five years or so at night at some local high schools, and in 2016 I started substituting in district 204

What classes are you teaching?

I will be teaching biology and honors biology for freshman  

What inspired you to teach?

I majored in biology in college and I knew I loved biology but I didn’t want to sit in a lab and just do lab work and so I’ve always admired my teachers because I’ve had a lot of teachers in my high school career who really impacted me and made me interested in science and intrigued by it so that’s why I majored in it in college, and so I wanted to do teaching because I wanted to make a difference and show kids that biology isn’t just something boring, it’s something that you can use in your everyday life.

What’s your favorite season?

Fall

Albert Zika

Albert Zika

How long have you been teaching?

This is my seventh year teaching. The past three years I was down at Kankakee high school, in Kankakee Illinois. Before that I spent three years at Springwood Middle School in Hanover Park, it was a feeder school for Lake Park

What classes are you teaching?

I’m teaching chemistry and biology this year.

What inspired you to teach?

I had some awesome leaders and teachers when I was in school and it was something that I was passionate about. It’s one of those professions where everyday there’s something new, it’s never the same thing, and it’s just an awesome thing to be a part of.

What’s your favorite season?

Fall

Myanna Klein

Myanna Klein

How long have you been teaching?

This will be my ninth year. This will be my fourth school. I was in the Lisle Community School District for two years, then I was at the Willis Academy for girls in Des Plaines for one year, and then for the past five years I was at the Chicago High School for the arts.

What classes are you teaching?

I teach French, so this year I’ll be teaching French 1, French 2, and AP French.

What inspired you to teach?

I was not originally an education major, I was originally a journalism major, and I happened to take French classes in high school and when I went to Lake Forest college. My advisor was the chair of the French department and encouraged me to continue taking French, so I did an internship at the International Herald Tribune in France, and I realized I would rather focus on other English studies, so I got a degree in English lit and French lit. I worked as a translator for a couple years and didn’t really love it, so I decided to go back and be a teacher

What’s your favorite season?

Summer

Eric Kramer

Eric Kramer

How long have you been teaching?

I taught twelve years at Bartlett High School, so this will be my thirteenth year teaching, and last year I coached as an assistant football coach on the varsity football team here. I’m also coaching the varsity team this year.

What classes are you teaching?

I’m going to be teaching the MPT classes which is a strength training class and then Freshman PE classes.

What inspired you to teach?

When I was in high school, I really enjoyed being around kids, I was a day camp counselor in the summer for kids, I taught swim lessons, I was an umpire, it was just something I really enjoyed. And I like being active, so PE was a good fit for it. I’m also certified for Drivers Ed and Health.

What’s your favorite season?

Fall

Ben Lundy

Ben Lundy

How long have you been teaching?

This will be my first year teaching. I went to Northern Illinois University after I went to Waubonsee Community College for four years.  

What classes are you teaching?

I will be teaching AP Psychology and I will also be teaching World Geo.  

What inspired you to teach?

I’ve always loved teaching. I actually made a career change and went back to school as an adult. My mom was a teacher, my sister is a teacher and my grandparents were both teachers,  so it’s in my blood. I didn’t do it at first, but now i’m excited to do it later in life. I love building a relationship with kids and having fun in the classroom but also getting a lot of work done.

What’s your favorite season?

Spring

Collin Hayes

Collin Hayes

How long have you been teaching?

This will be my eighth year teaching. I spent the first seven years of my career at South Elgin High School.

What classes are you teaching?

This year I have three Pre-Calc classes and then two Algebra 2-Trig classes.

What inspired you to teach?

My love for math and my desire to work with kids, it seemed like the perfect fit.

What’s your favorite season?

Summer

Miranda Kay

Miranda Kay

How long have you been teaching?

This is my first teaching job. I graduated from Wheaton College this past May.  

What classes are you teaching?

I’m teaching Algebra 1 and Precalculus.  

What inspired you to teach?

It’s both my love for working with students and my love for math. In my experience i’ve had relationships that I have to build with the students and share my love of math.

What’s your favorite season?

Summer

Fred Greenwood

Fred Greenwood

How long have you been teaching?

This will be my fifteenth year teaching, and previously did IT and taught for District 203.

What classes are you teaching?

I will be a math teacher at the school, teaching both Geometry and Algebra I.

What inspired you to teach?

I was inspired to teach because I was unhappy with the business route I was taking previously.

What’s your favorite season?

Summer

Aaron Marshall

Aaron Marshall

How long have you been teaching?

This will be my eight year teaching. I taught at a school in the South Side of Chicago and Oswego High School previously.

What classes are you teaching?

I will be teaching AP US History, AP European History, and American History.

What inspired you to teach?

My main inspiration to teach was because I enjoyed history, but did not like the way it was taught in schools.

What’s your favorite season?

Fall

Megan Flannigan

Megan Flannigan

How long have you been teaching?

This is my first year teaching.

What classes are you teaching?

I will be teaching the subjects Health and P.E.

What inspired you to teach?

I am a career changer, and previously was studying to become a pediatric nurse for 13 years since I loved kids and health and thought I could make a bigger impact in schools.

What’s your favorite season?

Summer

Sam Farren

Sam Farren

What classes are you teaching?

I will be teaching Consumer Economics and Notetaking/Study Skills in the business department.

This will be my 20th year teaching, and previously taught in Danville, Illinois.

What inspired you to teach?

I was previously studying to be an accountant, but fell into teaching and enjoyed it.

What’s your favorite season?

Fall

Meredith Roche

How long have you been teaching?

I will be entering my sixth year of teaching. I previously taught for Chicago public schools and Lutheran North College Prep.

What classes are you teaching?

I will be a band director here at Metea

What inspired you to teach?

I was inspired to teach because of my love for band, and knew I wanted to become a band teacher in 5th grade.

What’s your favorite season?

Fall

Nick Grijalva

Nick Grijalva

How long have you been teaching?

This will be my 14th year teaching and previously taught at Oak Lawn High School, Evergreen Park High School, and Homewood-Flossmoor High School.

What classes are you teaching?

I will be doing Media/Production classes at the school and Waubonsie High School.

What inspired you to teach?

I studied film and have my film degree which gained my interest for this position.

What’s your favorite season?

Fall

What is your favorite season?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.