Filed under News

LMC incorporates new ID check-in system

LMC incorporates new ID check-in system

Since the beginning of the school year, the library has put in place a system where students have to check in and exit with the use of their ID. The system tracks who is in the LMC at what times and for what purposes and helps the librarians and students make the best use of the LMC.

This approach stemmed from the previous years when passes were used to get from the cafeteria to the LMC. Now, however, with the ID system, there is a more practical way of knowing who is in the commons and who is in the library. The library is also looking to utilize its space for students who are looking for a more productive area to study. The new system gives a better outlook on the number of students in the LMC at any given time and provides data that can be used for other spaces around the school.

“It helps us track how many kids are using the LMC during lunchtimes so we can see how the area is being accessed because we want to look at other open spaces around the school as options,” LMC Director Amy Madzinski said.
The new change is planned to be permanent for now because it holds more students accountable for where they are in the building than before the system was implemented. In the past, having your ID was not as serious, but now administration requires an ID.

“It was not developed as a pilot. However, we are always open to changes but, with the addition of more blended classes and those students needing to be accounted for somewhere in the building, some form of a tracing system has to be in place,” Madzinski said.

Some students, however, view always having your ID as more of a hassle. If students forget it at home they are not allowed to work in the library and must remain in the commons. “I really dislike the new system. Already we have many new restrictions showing up and we do not need another one,” senior Blake Traylor said.

About the Photographer
Riley Burgoon, Photographer

Riley Burgoon is a senior entering her first year on staff as a photographer. Outside newspaper, she is also a part of Marching Band, Wind Ensemble, and...

8 Responses to “LMC incorporates new ID check-in system”

1. Graduated last year on October 4th, 2018 12:53 am

Kay I graduated last year but I’ll say that while this is mostly harmless there should definitely be a bit of a grace period of about 5 minutes at the start of the period so students can print something out and then go to lunch. It’d be absolutely ridiculous to say that you can’t go to lunch at the beginning of the period just because you were there a bit too long printing. And you can’t just say “do it during passing period” because students tend to do this thing called “moving” during those 5/6 minutes, which actually takes more than 0 seconds to complete. There is always the issue of Wind Ensemble and Chamber Strings kids who may not even be released at the normal end of 3rd period but rather in the middle of 4th, but I don’t know if there’s really a solution to that. But yeah. 5-minute grace period. Of course, you could just do away with the system entirely but there’s no way I of all people am winning that argument.

2. Abby on October 4th, 2018 8:50 am

Does anyone else agree that the school environment is getting more strict and therefore more tense and hostile?

3. All the student's opinion on October 4th, 2018 9:02 am

There are already enough restrictions in this school, we do not need another one. Already, I know a lot of people who just wants to eat during the first half of their lunch time and then go to the library for a more peaceful environment to do homework. However, because of the strict enter and exit policy of the commons and the library, students are forced to stay in one area and cannot have a flexible school life/time. Do the staffs of this school really think we will do something bad like ditching school, breaking school property, or ganging up with some other people during school time just because you guys let us walk those few meters between the library doors and the common? I already heard many people saying that they dislike the school rule on not being able to just go to the library after eating in the commons. In the library, you can eat, and in the commons, you can be academic productive. What do you all want us to do? Isn´t the purpose of the library is for more people to be able to use the computers, find more resource, and just work on class materials. How are we suppose to be good Metea students, or just students in general, if you guys put so much restrictions on us that we feel like we´re being watched and observed every second? Let us use the library freely. Let us be free Metea students.

4. I Agree with Above Comment on October 4th, 2018 10:44 am

^agreed^

5. seean on October 4th, 2018 1:59 pm

Wait, so you can just get up and go to the LMC? Or did we not need a pass before?

6. Sean on October 4th, 2018 2:00 pm

7. Someone on October 5th, 2018 7:56 am

There is a grace period, just not an official one lol. They don’t scan them for like the first minute or so, and plus the passing period gives you enough grace time too hahaha.

8. Anonomous on October 9th, 2018 8:34 pm

Hey for your information, students don’t need more restrictions! If anyting they need more resourses and this does not help. Besides, what do the blended classes need the library for! You gave us a chromebook for a reason so if the students decide to bs their work than that’s their problem.

• LMC incorporates new ID check-in system

News

Stress busters in the library help students unwind before finals

News

Chess team places 6th, first in history

News

Metea L.I.F.E. Abroad opens doors outside Metea

News

Veterans Day Assembly honors veterans and future service members

News

Students speak to D204 school board on lack of compliance with state law

Galleries

Gallery: Kinetic Drawing Project

News

Junior English Classes Present and Discuss Community Issues

News

Various music groups showcase talents at universities

News

UPDATE: Neuqua searched, found safe by police following bomb threat

News

Key Club backpack drive helps students in need

LMC incorporates new ID check-in system