Filed under Opinions

Gerrymandering threatens the sanctity of our elections and the future to come

As hundreds of Metea seniors, and thousands of citizens nationwide, prepare to vote in the upcoming midterm elections, a group of Republicans in Maryland are likewise preparing, but not to vote; these disgruntled Republicans are preparing a case that could decide the fate of gerrymandering in the US.

For decades, gerrymandering has run rampant within our nation. Looking at congressional districts in Maryland, Wisconsin, and even in Illinois, the biased tampering is clear and frankly insulting to our fair democracy. Gerrymandering should always be a bipartisan issue, and according to the many congressmen and women in the US, it seemingly is. However, words of support have little value when time and time again both Democrats and Republicans redraw their state districts to effectively undermine the people they represent. There have been two major gerrymandering cases this year, one against Republicans and the other against Democrats, that both ended in the Supreme Court effectively shrugging and dismissing the cases. That makes one thing very clear: Gerrymandering is indeed a bipartisan issue, to us at least. To the US Congress, it’s only an issue when it doesn’t benefit their particular party.

Gerrymandering is the process of actively skewing votes through redistricting. Using tactics like gerrymandering allows states like Maryland to have nine of their ten seats completely in the hands of Democrats even though only 55% of the voters in the state are Democrats. Some may call this merely political strategy and fair game; however, gerrymandering offers a scary precedent of a country of people who, despite actively voting and staying politically active, do not have any chance at establishing change; in other words, an America where your vote really doesn’t matter.

With the midterms slowly creeping up on the US, both sides hardly want to give up their gerrymandered districts. To both parties, it means potentially losing or failing to gain control over the Congress in these midterms. This rampant fear has caused the case for the end of gerrymandering to become increasingly unlikely to take place. Despite so many members of our government speaking out against gerrymandering, with even the former governor of Maryland, Martin O’Malley, formally condemning his state’s Democrats for their redistricting, little hope can be had for any change anytime soon.

This issue has become a completely unnecessary cold war between the Democrats and Republicans, a war of tiptoeing around the issue while they redistrict their state’s residents to the point where you can’t help but ask what the point is anymore. This issue isn’t hopeless, however. In order to get the necessary change done to our states and to take back our right to a fair vote from the clutches of partisan gerrymandering, the people of this nation as a whole must unite. Bipartisan redistricting has worked before and still works now. States like California have some of the most competitive elections due to their bipartisan redistricting commission. Commissions like these, however, aren’t objects we can only dream of getting or merely hope our congressmen will fix for us.

In order to actively reform this nation’s broken systems, those of us who can vote must do their jobs as civic citizens and fight for change. Yes, it’s important for your party to win, and yes, any reform to the redistricting process may mean your party’s loss, but it is our duty to protect our voting process so that in the future, our nation is fair.

Marco Rivero, Spotlight Reporter

Marco Rivero is a junior and spotlight writer for Metea Media. You can catch him obsessing over Smash Bros. and wallowing in the internet. His workaholism...

Esha Mandadi, Spotlight Reporter

Esha Mandadi is a senior and first-year spotlight reporter. She’s also a member of the speech team, and participates in BPA. Outside of school, she enjoys...

11 Responses to “Gerrymandering threatens the sanctity of our elections and the future to come”

1. Ben Dover on October 17th, 2018 8:59 am

We LOVE you Marco! Thanks for more amazing content from someone who isn’t some random left leaning liberal like every other writer. Thanks for being the intelligent one and sense of reason for Metea Media!

2. Ryan on October 17th, 2018 9:14 am

About time someone talked about this.

3. Conor Mackay on October 17th, 2018 9:26 am

I think that these articles antagonizing conservatives keep being made partly because I keep commenting. Nevertheless, rigged elections happen all the time. You’re telling me that the democratic primary in 2016 wasn’t rigged in Hillary Clinton’s favor? Or how about Democrats participating in Gerrymandering over the years? Both parties do it. Don’t try and paint a picture that isn’t there. It’s honestly getting tiring responding to the weekly biased article.

4. Remade on October 17th, 2018 10:42 am

Marco finna be president

5. A concerned Metea student on October 17th, 2018 10:58 am

Glad to see Metea Media is now putting out articles that look at a complex issue without partisan bias. I think this is a step in the right direction and hope to see similar articles in the future.

6. unknown on October 17th, 2018 2:39 pm

Why is Esha Mandini trying to dismantle capatilism, does that mean she will get arrested for treason and excummincated.

7. SAY WAT on October 18th, 2018 8:40 am

A Non bias news article!? I’m not being sarcastic i’m actually kind of surprised.

8. darkstripe on October 19th, 2018 8:53 am

‘I think that these articles antagonizing conservatives keep being made partly because I keep commenting’
    well i keep commenting as well but i haven’t seen the same results against liberals, so it’s probably not you

anyway thank y’all in the media room for an article that’s bipartisan. this school needs more unity, i think

9. balyeet on October 19th, 2018 6:09 pm

great job, agree 100%

10. Hansen THE HAM on October 26th, 2018 12:31 pm

i RELALY DOTN BELIEVE IN POLITICTS SO I MEAN I AGRE DONT AT ME

11. HANSEN THE HAM on October 26th, 2018 12:33 pm

YOoOooOoo

• Gerrymandering threatens the sanctity of our elections and the future to come

Opinions

The not so near future of gene editing

Opinions

Why joining News Journalism was the best decision I made in high school

Opinions

Religion and finding my identity

Opinions

The deterioration of the once great Hong Kong is truly a saddening event

Opinions

Brett Kavanaugh poses a threat to the Supreme Court

Opinions

Hot Takes: The Use of E-Cigarettes in Schools

Opinions

Spilled milk in some eyes is the same as spilled blood in others

Opinions

North Korea continues to be untrustworthy as planned peace talks remain in jeopardy

Opinions

Trump’s withdrawal from Iran Deal will have dire consequences

Letter to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Life with Social Anxiety