Filed under News

Mustang 30 offers choice opportunities for students

Administrators have decided to create a break in student’s schedules every Wednesday that is devoted to whatever resources they need. This time during the day is called Mustang 30 and will take place between second and third period.

Mustang 30 will give students the option to go where they want, with some exceptions, based on their responses to a Google Form that they will submit at the beginning of the week. Students can elect to go to resource centers, classrooms for extra work with teachers, designated access areas, and even rooms dedicated to relaxation techniques (courtesy of the PE/Health Department). Certain areas, such as the Commons, will not be accessible, but students can go almost anywhere they want to.

There will be an introduction to the initiative on Jan. 30, including an informational video about the logistics of the new schedule. The first official day of Mustang 30 will be Jan. 30 and is scheduled to occur every Wednesday thereafter through April 24.

Metea will not be alone in this endeavor. In fact, all three high schools in District 204 will be piloting similar programs. Several schools in the area have experimented with this sort of program as well, including Naperville North, Naperville Central, and Batavia.

“[There are] a lot of possibilities as we move forward, but we’re just trying to create the basic system where kids can get help for 30 minutes,” assistant principal Dan DeBruycker said. In the future, the program could extend to multiple days and an even longer time window. Beyond that, spaces like the Commons could potentially be opened as a privilege, similar to the seniors-only locker bank.

Mustang 30 could present one challenge: a loss of class time. However, the hope is that scheduling the access period on Wednesdays (which are already shortened school days) will minimize that loss since each class period will only be two minutes shorter than the normal Wednesday schedule.

The goal for this program will be “to give kids an opportunity to make choices for different resources,” said DeBruycker, which will overall help them succeed in the school environment.

About the Writers
Alexandra Guckel, Headlines Reporter

Alexandra Guckel is a sophomore and is a headlines writer for newspaper. If she’s not doing ballet or piano after school, she is usually watching The...

Riley Burgoon, Photographer

Riley Burgoon is a senior entering her first year on staff as a photographer. Outside newspaper, she is also a part of Marching Band, Wind Ensemble, and...

6 Responses to “Mustang 30 offers choice opportunities for students”

1. Kittenz on January 15th, 2019 10:28 am

Yo i swear watch someone ruin this entire thing by like jumping on top of the lockers or something. It should be a good opportunity, but the teenagers will RUIN everything.

2. JH on January 15th, 2019 11:14 am

Are the teacher meetings after school going away on these days and we’re now getting out at 2:25?

3. Ryan Umare on January 15th, 2019 12:56 pm

This is educational inequality

4. killian kenny on January 16th, 2019 7:29 am

This might be a good idea, but I have some concerns.

For starters; I may not be able to use this, due to my 2nd and 3rd periods being important classes for me. I have English and ASL2 during my 2nd and 3rd periods, and I need those for graduation. No doubt other students have important courses during those periods too.

Next; I have the concern of students using this as an excuse to get out of classes and cause mayhem in the building. Some students may use this time like they should, but others may use this time to do wrong in the building. Some may use this time to vape in the bathrooms, others may use the time to wander about the building, and still others may use the time to distract peers in other classes.

I hope that my concerns are taken into account.

5. cow on January 17th, 2019 9:57 am

hey killian, I think it’ll be in between 2nd and 3rd period, you wont miss anything

6. Ya Boy on January 17th, 2019 2:17 pm

I think they should put this thing after 8th period because you still have the same opportunities to get help and student who don’t necessarily need it can just leave. Also, I need as much time in Calc III as I can get, am I right guys?

• Mustang 30 offers choice opportunities for students

News

NEHS hosts Valentine’s letter writing activity

News

SAGA hosts hygiene kit drive

News

Record-breaking polar vortex forces district officials to cancel school

News

Water pipe bursts causing changes around the school

News

Behind the scenes of the Young Hearts for Life heart screening

News

Tie Tuesday instills the importance of relationships in young men

News

Drama club students attend Theatre Fest

News

Remind to halt text messaging service to Verizon users

News

Music department brings back alumni for Encore concert

News

Stress busters in the library help students unwind before finals