Filed under Opinions

New Metea policy invades the privacy of all students

Privacy is something that we all hold closely. We don’t want to involve a lot of people we don’t know into our own personal lives. A lot of people don’t want their relationships public, who they talk to the public, or sometimes even their hobbies public. I can assure that most people aren’t a completely open book when it comes to topics like privacy. Everyone has secrets. Metea has just invaded some of our privacy at school by leaving bathroom doors open.

The reasoning behind leaving bathroom doors open is that it is commonplace for people to vape, smoke, and do all sorts of activities that aren’t appropriate for a school bathroom. It makes it significantly easier to access the bathrooms when the doors are wide open. From personal experience, I have used the bathrooms during specific lunch periods and observed people vaping. I had no need to report them, as it isn’t my business to do so, but I figured that with all of the talk about vaping and the fact that someone who is normally isolated from these kinds of activities, that something would be done if I came in contact with this.

Now to combat this, the bathroom doors are left open. First, I believe it is important to get some other factors aside from drug abuse when it comes to leaving the doors open. Leaving the doors open allows people to hear noises in the bathrooms. Whether it be talking, or other functions, all of it can be heard. Bathrooms are supposed to be a private environment and while talking in them is discouraged by staff, the fact these doors are open does eliminate that. From middle school experience, if kids wanted privacy to talk they went to the bathroom. Despite what the administration might want, the bathrooms are a “safe space” both during passing periods and during class. It has been this way ever since the idea of school has been here. Ask any adult about bathrooms and they can assure you that they have always been more than just a place to unload your business.

Because the bathroom doors are open on a daily basis, it’s just that much easier and possibly even more tempting for opposite genders to go into the bathrooms. As weird as it sounds, some students think it’s a complete joke but in reality, it’s invading a lot of privacy. Can you imagine being a girl just casually standing at the sink looking at yourself in the mirror in the restroom and all of the sudden a guy walks in? That guy will most likely laugh it off, leaving you completely shocked. It may sound fictional, but instances like this become even more plausible when the accessibility is there.

Now, with privacy on the line, why would the school decide to leave the doors open? It can be assumed that the supervising team wants to be able to monitor the bathrooms and make sure nothing suspicious is occurring. It isn’t worth it to sacrifice the privacy of our students just to make sure kids aren’t vaping, doing drugs, or just socializing. If you look at anything but vaping, there will be a stench lingering around the bathroom indicating possibly the time when they could have smoked. However, vaping is a dominant issue at Metea, this idea shouldn’t come new to anyone. The question is, how does the school manage to save privacy and attempt to stop drug use? This is relatively difficult to answer if the budget comes into play. There are vape/smoke detectors that could work, but Metea most likely does not have the available cash to spend on detectors. Leaving the doors open could be a temporary solution until they find a new alternative, but coming from not only the newspaper team, even non-vaper students even dislike the open doors.

Metea definitely needs to work on finding alternatives. If they really want to supervise students, they need to find a way to do so without invading our privacy. It’s understandable that advisors want to limit drug use at our school but choosing to use the bathrooms as a way to catch any suspicious behavior is erroneous.

Madison McCalley, Sports Reporter & Photographer

Madison is a junior and this is her first year on the Journalism staff. She is a sports reporter and photographer. If she isn’t busy taking photos or...

Brandt Ward, Perspectives Reporter

Brandt Ward is a Junior. He is a perspectives writer who recently just joined newspaper. He looks forward to contributing his creative writing and analysis...

Noelle Pryor, Photographer

Noelle Pryor is a junior, this is her first year on the news journalism staff. She enjoys movies, books, music, and other sorts of media. If you’re looking...

10 Responses to “New Metea policy invades the privacy of all students”

1. Evan J Lemberger on January 24th, 2019 12:59 pm

I think this is a great article, and vaping detectors are a much better way to combat vaping than leaving the doors open. I do have some issues with your example of a guy walking into a girls bathroom, though. Can you site any recent incidences of this happening anywhere because of an open bathroom door policy?

2. Killian Fan on January 24th, 2019 1:25 pm

I shouldn’t have to hear a guy taking a fat dump everytie i walk past the bathroom

3. Voltaire on January 24th, 2019 8:34 pm

Well, we wouldn’t need the doors to be open if you didn’t vape. Besides, personal freedoms can be temporarily suspended for the safety and security of the majority.

4. killian kenny on January 25th, 2019 8:45 am

Quick question for “Killian Fan,” is your name title a direct reference to me?

5. Yo Mama on January 27th, 2019 12:25 pm

Bro nobody wants to smell the dude taking a fat dump please close the doors

6. veda keda on January 31st, 2019 11:02 am

yEs madison preach girl i want to maintain my privacy!!!

7. Aiden Spenner on February 5th, 2019 12:46 pm

Vaping and smoking are such stupid things to do anyways. You risk your health and you also risk losing your job too. I don’t see why kids think it’s so cool because it’s not. It may seem cool when you’re in high school but once you get out I guarantee you you will be struggling with addiction the majority of your life. Just don’t do it in the first place and you won’t have a problem with it later on down the line.

8. hey on February 5th, 2019 6:25 pm

please do an opinion on mustang 30 and how metea is really just asking for probelms allowing kids to roam for around for 30 minutes

9. Someone on February 8th, 2019 8:07 am

Why do people vape anyways it’s just inhaling and breathing out smoke. Some of my friends say it helps relieve stress but it didn’t do anything to me when I was stressed and my friends also say that the flavor tastes good but you can get a lot more flavor by eating food or a lollipop

10. Ryan on February 11th, 2019 10:18 pm

While I don’t like the idea of the bathroom doors being open, I do think that they need to catch the kids who are vaping. Realistically there are still kids that get away with vaping in the classrooms though, so I don’t think they’re ever going to stop these kids.

• New Metea policy invades the privacy of all students

Opinions

Makeup brands need to step it up for POC

Opinions

Why Metea’s late policy needs to change

Opinions

The not so near future of gene editing

Opinions

Why joining News Journalism was the best decision I made in high school

Opinions

Religion and finding my identity

Opinions

Gerrymandering threatens the sanctity of our elections and the future to come

Opinions

The deterioration of the once great Hong Kong is truly a saddening event

Opinions

Brett Kavanaugh poses a threat to the Supreme Court

Opinions

Hot Takes: The Use of E-Cigarettes in Schools

Opinions

Spilled milk in some eyes is the same as spilled blood in others