Filed under Spotlight

Students worried about legislation arming teachers

Bella Myers

Bella Myers

Bella Myers

In reaction to the shooting deaths of 17 students and staff members at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. last year, Florida’s legislature is moving to allow administrators, support staff, librarians, counselors, coaches, and some teachers to carry guns in school. Eligible school staff would be required to pass a background check, drug check, psychological exam, interview, and training program prior to being licensed to carry a firearm in school. The program would be voluntary.

Students and staff at Metea Valley have expressed concern about whether a similar law would be enacted in Illinois. “I think it’s an awful idea because it can create a false danger that would make it seem that there is an actual threat or chance that something would happen, when in reality it is very unlikely,” sophomore Thomas Dively said.

Although mental health is not the only factor that leads students to plan and carry out a mass shooting, it is a significant concern. LMC director Amy Madzinski says schools need to maximize counselors’ education to be proactive in identifying students who are prone to violence.

“You know, there’s gun safety and there’s just being mentally ready to have a gun. I don’t think more guns is the answer. I think it’s more mental health training that needs to be done. There’s a bigger picture and a bigger problem than just more guns,” Madzinski said.

Neither Dively nor Madzinksi said they believe bringing more guns into a school would decrease the number of school shootings.

“I think if a student wants to bring a gun to school, and they have that mental mindset, they’re going to no matter what,” Madzinski said. “Because I think in the situations that have happened, there have been people at school, law enforcement, like SRO that’s had a gun, and that hasn’t stopped them. So I don’t think having more guns in the school would stop them.”

196 people have been killed in school-related shootings since 2010, according to the United States Naval Post Graduate School. The majority of the perpetrators in these incidents have been students.

”Honestly, I don’t really I feel like anybody who has their mind set on committing on mass crime or mass murder in school isn’t going to be deterred by a teacher with a gun,” Dively said. “I mean, they come into schools, and we have cops with guns, and we have police that can respond to the scene in minutes, and they still do it. What is really going to change?”

15 Responses to “Students worried about legislation arming teachers”

1. Cost vs. Benefit on April 30th, 2019 6:52 am

“I think it’s an awful idea because it can create a false danger that would make it seem that there is an actual threat or chance that something would happen, when in reality it is very unlikely,” Agreed.
    Dying in a shooting is still rare (although tragic). And the amount it would cost to fund training and gun ownership might not be worth it (i mean, beyond $65 million) (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/02/22/the-economics-of-arming-americas-schools/?utm_term=.62234d2e604f). It could scare students and teachers, and also give the impression that a school shooting is likely enough to be worth having many armed and trained teachers.

2. Guy from the press on April 30th, 2019 7:00 am

“Hey, can I take a picture of your gun?”

3. Someone on April 30th, 2019 7:47 am

We’re trying to prevent the shootings not trying to desperately stop them once they already started

4. Daniel on April 30th, 2019 8:39 am

I think we should increase security by helping out the veterans. Many of them are now homeless and would love a job to protect children in schools as well as use their training from the service to do so. Yes it would be more guns in schools, but they are in the hands of servicemen and women.

5. killian kenny on April 30th, 2019 8:51 am

I will never agree with the idea that teachers need to be armed at school. To me, arming the teachers is a disaster waiting to happen as I can see every possible case of something going wrong. For instance: would our substitute teachers also be armed? Will they also have to get training? Or what about the teachers themselves: will they take their guns home with them? Do they go home and live through domestic abuse? If they do, then is it a good idea to add a gun to their lives? There is just so many things that could go horribly wrong when we arm our teachers that I could go on for hours.

6. Dylan McGovern on April 30th, 2019 10:59 am

If students misbehave, and the teacher fails to calm them, the teacher can possibly point the gun at the student.While that scenario is not likely, it isn’t impossible. Also, it can make students feel uncomfortable.

7. joe on April 30th, 2019 11:10 am

This is the dumbest thing i ever seen yall gonna get us killed…….NO CAP!!!

8. A Concerned Metea Student on April 30th, 2019 11:21 am

Unfortunately, school shootings are a problem we cannot solve. We cannot get into the heads of shooters, and we will never be able to understand things from their perspective. All we can try to do is to minimize the chance of an event like this happening. Arming teachers is not a bad idea, simply because that offers us an extra layer of protection. We are now high schoolers, and should not have an immaturity problem if the teacher has a weapon. So, yes, arm our teachers, BUT most importantly, reach out to those in need to try to minimize these events.

9. Aidan on April 30th, 2019 12:12 pm

If teachers had guns, a school shooting would be less likely to occur because of how many people will be ready and armed in case of such event were ever to happen.
    CHANGE MY MIND!

10. oi on April 30th, 2019 12:23 pm

my two cents

Guns are great
    Trump is great
    God bless America

11. VOA on May 1st, 2019 8:12 am

Ok see there’s a problem in this article as well as the thinking of many people against the arming teacher’s idea. And this problem is that many people on one side of the political spectrum would like to have you believe that the idea is to just give guns to teachers in schools with no prior experience with guns. this simply is not true. The proposed idea is to allow teachers with a previously earned concealed carry permit to (with some additional training and certification) carry their certified weapon on school grounds. And unfortunately, many people who slander this idea and say it’s bad and dangerous are unaware of this fact. As yes it would be kinda stupid to give some random teacher with no prior experience a gun even with training. But that was never the idea and so many people don’t know that or refuse to see it.

12. darkstripe on May 1st, 2019 10:05 am

i don’t even trust my teachers with updating homeaccess correctly. how do they think i am going to trust them WITH A GUN

13. mike on May 1st, 2019 11:14 am

Why did we allow the orange president to pass this law?

14. Killian Lover on May 2nd, 2019 1:06 pm

I agree one hundred percent with Killian Kenny. I am his number one fan!!!!

15. Amogh Ganpati on May 23rd, 2019 12:19 pm

The second you arm teachers, this school stops being a school. It becomes a prison.

• Students worried about legislation arming teachers

Spotlight

YouTube Controversy Sparks Global Discussion Surrounding Male Sexual Harassment

Spotlight

Stimulated problems: Stimulants cause more harm than good

Spotlight

The origin and meaning of the Alma Mater

Spotlight

Adults and teens anxious about effects of smartphone reliance

Spotlight

Students are prioritizing their rights and trailblazing the discussion on the Pledge of Allegiance

Spotlight

Parkland: One Year Later

Spotlight

Super Bowl VIII: One of the most boring and controversial games in a while

Spotlight

Adulting 101: Taxes

Spotlight

Blackfishing: A social media trend

Spotlight

AirPods: The Apple product that miraculously took over the world