Humans of Metea: Mission Impossible

Many may wonder what magic goes on behind the scenes of the Collage concerts. Little do they know that, with a little help from Devany Clause, a team of students under the name Mission Impossible are always working throughout the whole night to create a seamless show. 

Josh Kaminsky – band director

What is Mission Impossible?

Mission Impossible is the tech crew that is responsible for all of the logistics of Collage. They make sure everyone has their materials and equipment to play the show.

Why the name, Mission Impossible?

Because it really shouldn’t be possible that all of this really happens.

What is your favorite part of Mission Impossible?

My favorite part is seeing all of the students form a bond, work together as a team, and solve problems without needing me.

What characteristics do all of the selected students have in common?

They have the motivation to be a part of something and contribute in a different way than playing their instrument. A lot of them only play one piece in all of Collage, so it’s a way for them to have a significant impact on the show. 

What is your favorite part of Collage?

My favorite part is seeing how much people can really enjoy making music together, and seeing the crowd love the product. 

Margaret Cotner – junior

What do you love about Mission Impossible?

I really like how it’s stressful, but its the right kind of stress. I get to hear everyone perform, as well. My job is to be on stage left and hold the doors shut, so it’s not as stressful as shuffling chairs, but I get to hear every group and how different and unique they all are.

What’s the most fun part?

The most fun part is getting to run around and play, then immediately come back to my job. It keeps me really involved and engaged in the concert. 

What is the most stressful part of the night?

The most stressful part is right before the finale. I’m in the front ensemble that plays in front of the curtain. So I set up for jazz ensemble and help get every chair off the stage behind the curtain. Then I grab my trumpet and music, run around backstage, grab my chair and stand, and head onstage.

Alexis Fichtel – sophomore

I love being able to hear all the groups play and perform. 

What is the most exciting part of the night?

Honestly, it’s resetting the stage. You’re getting all excited again while the scene is getting reset. It’s exciting taking the entire thing down before the finale starts; it’s such a rush. 

The most stressful moments are making sure everything is where it needs to be and that everyone is quiet. It’s hard putting down all the chairs and stands quickly and still quietly. We had a stand fall over during the first concert, even though no one was standing by it, it just fell. It was so loud, and the audience heard it. 

Evan Lemberger – senior

Anytime you have to do a job and then go right into performing, that’s really thrilling.

It was stressful when I was told to move drums to a particular place when I didn’t really know I had to.