The LMC gives students the ability to check out books through curbside pickup

Olivia Gaziano

LMC director Amy Madzinski gives students the opportunity to check out library books during remote learning.

The library reopened for curbside pickup with books last Tuesday. This brings a new opportunity for readers to utilize Metea’s library during e-learning. They will have the opportunity to put books on hold and pick them up from school at Door 1. 

Students can reserve a book for three weeks by going through Single Sign-On and reaching Destiny Student, where they can place the book of their choice on hold. The LMC Director, Mrs. Madzinski, and other LMC staff will then email the student to inform them if their book is ready for pickup or if they are on the library’s waiting list. 

“The book is usually ready within a day and you come to Door 1 to pick up the book,” LMC Director Amy Madzinski said. 

Returning the book is very similar. After the three weeks, they return the book at Door 1 and, if needed, they can check it out for another three weeks. Students can drop off the books at Door 1 anytime before their three weeks are over.  

“You drop it off the same way you pick it up,” LMC Director Amy Madzinski said. 

This system allows for minimal contact with other people and the ability to utilize one of the school’s resources that is normally provided to students during in-person learning. 

With administration’s approval, and for the safety of students, each book will sit in quarantine for five days, following the American Library Association’s guidelines for safe library book lending. This allows students to continue reading library books safely while still at home. 

“I think it’s a really cool resource for people,” senior Padma Dantury said.

Some students see this as an opportunity to bring back some normality of in-person learning while students are still at home. With the new alternative, students can find a sense of familiarity in checking out books. 

“I think there are a lot of people at Metea that like to read, and I think that this would help people feel a lot more normal,” sophomore Lillie Cuculich said.