Senior prom takes place differently due to COVID-19

This+years+prom+will+look+different+than+any+other+year+due+to+COVID-19+guidelines.+Students+share+their+different+plans+for+senior+prom.++

Ashley Xie

This year’s prom will look different than any other year due to COVID-19 guidelines. Students share their different plans for senior prom.

Metea’s student government has worked to provide seniors with a prom experience for the past few weeks. Seniors will have the option to attend senior prom on April 30. This year’s senior gala is being held at Bobak’s Signature Events. 

Due to COVID-19, this event will have modifications from a typical prom that will allow for social distancing and a safer environment. Students will have their temperature taken upon entry, and masks will be required. 

Safety precautions will also be taken with seating arrangements and time slots. There will be an early event and a later event to minimize crowds but still providing a prom experience for all seniors that want to participate. Seating will also be divided into four rooms, and each tablet will socially distance six students. 

Even with the protocols set in place, some students are taking extra measures to ensure that their prom is as safe as possible for them. 

“I’m not planning on eating there because I don’t want to take off my mask with a bunch of people,” senior Barbara Kaminski said. 

While there will still be a seated meal and music, one main difference from this prom to previous years is that dancing will not be permitted. Due to social distance guidelines, there will not be a dance floor and students will not be allowed to dance. 

“I understand that COVID-19 is out of the school’s control, but it feels a little silly to have a prom with no dancing,” Kaminski said. 

Although the lack of dancing might be upsetting to some students, others think that the prom experience is more than just dancing. 

“I want to go because prom is a pretty big traditional high school event,” senior Kevin Culkeen said. 

While prom is a big tradition, it is also something that high schoolers look forward to over their four years in high school. Some seniors are looking forward to creating memories with their peers before graduation. 

“I’m looking forward to just one final big celebration with some of my best friends,” Kaminiski said. “I just really appreciate that this is the last time we get to do something big like this.” 

Although seniors including Divya Sundar are not going to the dance but celebrating the event in other ways. 

“I am not going but I am planning on getting together with friends and taking pictures and doing things outside,” Sundar said. 

Most seniors are getting dressed up and getting together to take photos with their friends regardless if they are attending prom or not. Some seniors are going to a weekend getaway after prom to a prom house.

“We are planning on getting a prom house, but before we go, we are all going to get tested, and then some of us will be fully vaccinated by then,” Kaminiski said. 

For students who are planning on attending prom, there will be different entertainment than in previous years. At the senior gala, there will be performances by The Second City comedians, trivia, and music. 

To attend this event, students will be able to purchase tickets from this upcoming Monday through April 18. Tickets will be $60 and must be purchased by a Metea senior. Guests must be a Metea senior and are required to show their present ID upon entry. Students will also be able to select their seating arrangement upon purchase of their tickets.

Through remote learning and now hybrid learning, some seniors are feeling like they have not gotten as many fun events as past seniors have. 

“I hope we can do something more because we haven’t really gotten that much as seniors this year,” Culkeen said. 

While prom is a momentous occasion for many students, they are also hopeful that there will be another event to help celebrate their senior year. While everyone has different reasons to go to prom or stay home, students still have reasons to look forward to the upcoming events. 

“I’m excited to see everyone dressed up nice and I’m excited to see all the outfits,” Culkeen said.