Districts 203 and 204 partner up to host a vaccine clinic for the community

Aiden Spenner

A standard-issued COVID-19 vaccination record card.

Sydney Burleyson

Naperville School Districts 203 and 204 are partnering up to host a vaccine clinic for students. The districts are working with Jewel-Osco Pharmacy to administer the vaccine. In Dec. of 2020, the vaccine was approved for everyone 16 years of age and older, and in early May 2021, the vaccine was approved for children between the ages of 12 and 15. The vaccine clinic will be available for all students between the ages of 12 and 18. 

The FDA’s announcement that vaccines will be available for children over 12 has been said to be a major step in slowing the spread of COVID-19 as well as helping society resume normal activities. 

Studies done through the FDA have shown that the Pfizer vaccine has more benefits rather than disadvantages. Potential benefits include mass immunity which will lead to society returning to a “semi-normal life”. With more people getting the vaccine, the public health burden will be lifted. 

“Today’s action allows for a younger population to be protected from COVID-19, bringing us closer to returning to a sense of normalcy and to ending the pandemic,” said Acting FDA Commissioner Janet Woodcock, M.D. “Parents and guardians can rest assured that the agency undertook a rigorous and thorough review of all available data.”

Jewel Osco pharmacists will be administering the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine on May 22 at Nequa from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. The second dose will be administered on June 12. Students will need to attend both dates, as well as schedule the appointment ahead of time.

According to the District 204 official website, students under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian fill out a consent form before the appointment and must bring a form of identification.