Girls’ volleyball secure a position in the sectional championship after regional title

Grace Cronin

Girls’ volleyball gather at Oswego high school in the semi sectionals match against Yorkville. The Mustangs won and now advance to the finals.

Grace Cronin, Sports Reporter

The girls’ volleyball team competed in the semi-finals for sectionals facing Yorkville in a two-set game. Metea came out top winning in two sets 25-14 and 25-20, earning them a spot in the finals for sectionals last Monday. This win followed the team being named regional champions after winning against Oswego last Thursday.

“The girls played fantastic,” head coach Dave MacDonald said. “They were poised, confident, and did not let the moment get too big for them.”

In the first set, Metea was able to put up a fight against Yorkville as they maintained the nerves of competing in sectionals. Along with encouragement from the mustang supporters who filled the stands.The girls finished the first set strong with an ending score of 25-14 putting them closer to a win.

“There were a lot of nerves at the start, but we did a really good job of getting that away in the first few points,” junior defensive specialist and libero Brenda Reynaga said. “We just pushed through like always, and it reflected in the score of the first set.”

The second set was nail biting as both Metea and Yorkville were neck and neck throughout the set. Yorkville led the set 8-4 with some strong hits and blocks. A timeout made by Metea helped calm their nerves allowing for the girls to get back in the game as the score reached 10-10. However, Yorkville continued to fight, fluctuating the score all the way until the end. Metea ended up coming out on top, finishing the second set with a score of 25-20.

“In the second set, Yorkville put up a bigger fight, and we fought back,” Reynaga said. “Our defense was really good with being able to read the different shots that the hitters were taking. Overall offense, defense, and serving were pretty good.”

The Mustangs are excited to face the winners of the Plainfield North and Benet matchup in the sectional championship this upcoming Wednesday at Oswego.

“We are excited, after we won the regionals the tough part was over and now the fun part begins,” MacDonald said. “It is going to be a tough match moving forward as it is either Benet or Plainfield North, two very good teams. We are excited to see who were are going to play.”