Metea’s emphasis on holiday decorations

Tanay Pant

Collage performs a series of winter songs to welcome the seasonal holiday season.

Tanay Pant, Spotlight Reporter

The staff of Metea Valley has put up several large Christmas trees in the halls and rooms of the school to celebrate the approaching winter season. Christmas trees are an icon and an integral part of the celebration of Christmas and have been for hundreds of years. Therefore, the mounting of trees throughout Metea in December may seem to make sense. However, some students have expressed an unpleasant feeling about having Christmas trees sprinkled throughout the school when other winter holidays, such as Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or even Diwali, have gone underrepresented.

“I think there should be at least some sort of representation of Hanukkah and Kwanzaa, or else nothing at all,” sophomore Bhuvan Raghavan said.

During the winter season, many holidays take place, the most popular one among Americans being Christmas, a Christian holiday. Other holidays include Hanukkah, celebrated by Jews across North America, and Kwanzaa, celebrated by African-Americans. Interestingly, Christmas seems to be the only holiday of the three that, despite being a strictly Christian holiday, is celebrated by people of all religions, races, and nationalities.

According to Pew Research, almost 81% of non-Christians in the United States celebrate Christmas. On the contrary, nobody outside of Judaism or the African-American community celebrates Hanukkah or Kwanzaa. This may be because Christmas is deeply woven into the fabric of American culture (Guardian) and that many non-religious folks see it as a celebration of winter rather than a celebration of Christ.

“I do not celebrate Christmas [extensively],” sophomore Venkata Sri Saiveer Chelliboyina said, “but at the same time, I do not know anybody who does not. You put up the tree and all in your home. I do not think it is a religious thing for most [people].”

Raghavan shares the same sentiment as Chelliboyina.

“We do not do all the Christmas traditions; however, we do put up a tree, call over relatives and eat a lot of food like any other holiday,” Raghavan said.

Still, the consensus around the appearance of Christmas trees throughout Metea appears not to be one of great embrace or rejection. Some students simply hold an apathetic attitude in regards to the situation. To one junior, it matters not if the Christmas trees stay up or if they get taken down.