OLAS organizes a Latino dance in hope of sharing their culture

Tanmayi Sharat

OLAS club is selling tickets for their cultural experience dance happening on March 18th.

Tanmayi Sharat, Headlines reporter

The Organization of Latin America Students (or OLAS) is hosting a Latino dance program on March 18. This is a program to display the diverse culture that the Latino community has to offer. The variety of color and food, as well as the difference in music, dance, and style makes the Latino culture very unique. The event is centered around exposing students and staff to the diverse Metea Valley community.

OLAS has been a club in Metea since this school opened. The goal of the program is to educate members of the club as well as other students and staff who are not a part of the club about the rich Latino culture. OLAS has been conducting Latino dance performances for three years. Metea counselor and OLAS sponsor Javier Polavieja believes that this is a fun and educational way to raise money for the club.

“But dance is definitely a fun way to do it, as dance and music are important in every culture, it is important to share it,” Polavieja said.

This dance is not only a way to promote the Latino culture, but it is also a way for OLAS to raise the money for field trips that they might have and the funding for smaller activities like movies, that the members participate in. 

“It is our main fundraiser, but it is also an opportunity for the students to share a very important part of the culture,” Polavieja said.

This would be the fifth dance program by OLAS. But, due to COVID-19 and the restrictions and guidelines that needed to be followed, OLAS could not perform for the last two years. OLAS members, however, hope to continue this program in the years to come.

“There are going to be a lot of drinks and food from the Latino culture, also there will be music and dancing from Latino America,” senior Michelle Guevara said.

The dance will be held from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. on March 18. The tickets are $10 and this includes the snacks and beverages. OLAS members hope to see students there to support and learn about the Latino culture.

“Well, I think this program mostly brings the Latino community together, and other communities together as well,” Guevara said.