Aurora Public Library offers students an opportunity to sign up for library cards

Tanmayi Sharat

Flannery Crump, teen services librarian, represents Aurora Public library in their program to offer students library cards.

Tanmayi Sharat, Headlines Reporter

Representatives from the Aurora Public Library came to Metea Valley to give students an opportunity to sign up for library cards on Friday, April 8. The public library has partnered with other schools and levels as well. Flannery Crump, the teen services librarian at the Aurora Public Library District, has recently been to Waldo Middle School as well as other middle and elementary schools to give students these opportunities.

“We partner with the schools to engage with all levels of the community because the idea of a public library is to make sure that we are providing value for everyone,” Crump said. 

Crump also added that the cards are paid for by taxes, and it is an opportunity that should be taken. 

Students can now sign up for library cards on the Aurora Public library website. The cards are free for Aurora residents, but a current photo ID and proof of residency are required to sign up. Cards are available to non-Aurora residents as well, however, the cards are not free and there are additional restrictions as well. 

Amy Madzinski, Library Media Center director, believes that signing up for the library cards gives students access to many resources not available at the school library.

“We have a few resources for AP testing, SAT, and ACT, but the Aurora Public Library has so much more in terms of printed materials,” Madzinski said. 

Madzninzki hopes that other libraries will visit Metea so students living in other locations will also be able to gain access to libraries in their areas.

“I am hoping that [representatives from] Naperville public library will be able to come out because they will provide cards for Naperville residents,” Madzinski said.

The Aurora Public Library has a large collection of books, movies, music, and many online resources like audiobooks as well. Signing up for a library card gives students access to all of these resources for free.

“Stop by the library and see what we have got,” Crump said.