Editorial: We need to end Gun Violence in schools

The+names+of+the+victims+from+the+shooting+at+Robb+Elementary+School+in+Uvalde%2C+Texas+are+listed+illustrating+the+number+of+lives+lost+in+a+singular+school+shooting.+

Ayaana Pradhan

The names of the victims from the shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas are listed illustrating the number of lives lost in a singular school shooting.

The tragedy of the Robb Elementary School shooting in Uvalde, Texas occurred on May 24, 2022, when 18-year-old Salvador Ramos opened fire killing 19 children and two teachers and wounding 16 others. Earlier that day, he shot and wounded his 66-year-old grandmother.

A nine-year-old spoke to KENS 5 about the shooting saying he hid under the table. The student went on to describe more about the shooting and what he heard Ramos say. “He came in and he crouched a little bit and he said, ‘It’s time to die,’” the student mentioned to the news station.

While yes, Texas is not near Metea, gun control rules and school shootings are still impacting our school and the schools around us. Superintendent Adrian Talley sent out a message reminding everyone what District 204 has in place to keep students and staff safe.

“We will continue to review our procedures and processes both now and in the future. We stay committed to our responsibility of protecting our children and our staff,” Talley said.

It is an unfortunate reality that people are losing their lives and the lives of their loved ones in school shootings. Teaching children how to prepare for a possible attack while in the classroom is not something schools should have to teach them.

School is a place meant for learning, not violence. The only way to prevent school shootings from happening is by limiting access to guns. A person who carries a gun holds great power and should never use one for malicious intent.

The ALICE drill began in 2000. The drill was created in case there was a possible shooter outside or inside the building. ALICE stands for alarm, lock-down, inform, counter, and evacuate.

While the concept of ALICE is more helpful than previous tactics, schools need to do a better job implementing and training both staff and students. No single situation will be the same, but it is important to help prepare everyone for the worst.

We, the Stampede Editorial Board, believe that gun laws and school procedures need to change for the safety of future generations so that everyone feels safe to get the education that they deserve. The government can help implement this by restricting the ownership of guns, the security measures put in schools, and the training to own a firearm. Weapons of that caliber should not be in the hands of anyone who is not trained in their professions such as the Police, Security Guards, and the Military. School districts need to change their policies and training regimens for their staff in order to help students feel safer knowing they will know what to do in times of distress.