Humans of Metea: Liam Pummer

Tanay Pant

Sophomore Liam Pummer enjoys drumming and video games.

Tanay Pant, Spotlight Editor

Sophomore Liam Pummer, also known as ‘Kirby,’ is involved with Marching Band, Tri-M Music Honors Society and other personal hobbies. He has also recently been diagnosed to be on the autism spectrum. Continue reading to learn more about his experiences at our school.

What are some of your extracurricular activities?

Most of them revolve around the drums, I would say. I did Marching Band, I plan on doing Pep Band, and currently, I am in Percussion Ensemble, Korean Percussion Ensemble and I drum for the Steel Band and Jazz Orchestra. Despite all that, I still have some free time on my hands. The best part about it all is all the fun that you have meeting everyone and the experiences you share, even if it can be a lot of work sometimes.

How big of an impact would you say video games have on your life?

A lot. I have a bit of a [finicky] nature where I try and collect everything I can as soon as I can get to it. There is also a certain character I look up to and who I see as the embodiment of who I am. I am, of course, speaking of Luigi from Super Mario.

What is your experience with drumming?

I have been drumming seriously ever since I was eleven years old. It can be a lot of work since, as far as instruments go, the drums are extremely physically demanding. Still, it is a lot of fun to go with it and let loose with whatever comes to your mind. There is a ton of interesting stuff you can do with it, and that is why the drums shine.

How has autism played a role in your life?

I do not want my response to reflect on everybody with autism, as both the disorder itself and its effects vary from person to person. Throughout my life, I have struggled with social interactions, the ability to understand and connect with others’ emotions, such as understanding verbal cues or sarcasm, and, worst of all, overthinking what I am dealing with versus what I am not. The confirmation that I have autism has helped me understand possible or definite reasons why I do what I do and how to work through it. As many people, especially teenagers, face challenges figuring out who they are, where they belong and how to deal with their lives, having autism amplifies the difficulty of managing stress and maintaining healthy relationships. The most important thing is to find an asylum with other people who can relate to you or people willing to offer support; associating with positive people will make a large difference. I am also a very open and empathetic person, so if anyone is ever willing to open up about their struggles, I can offer help.

Is there anybody you would like to shout out?

I would like to shout out Judah Cloud, Amelia Hervey and Jayden McGrath for their kindness during the marching band season. During our Minnesota trip, they helped me get through one of, if not the toughest, mental health crises I have ever endured. I would also like to shout out Richard Shefke and Tyler Brown. They are great musicians and great people. Our continued support for each other has helped me become a more positive person. The social asylum I have created, known as “The Disappointments to Society” (yes, that is its actual name) would not have been possible without them.