Moments are forgotten, but our stories will last a lifetime

Adam Page, Adviser

We live in a world of moments. Snaps that disappear. Videos that scroll by. Reels that are viewed and forgotten. We’re surrounded by them, immersed in fleeting moments. These moments make us feel connected, but deep down, we know we aren’t. 

Because moments aren’t stories. We connect with these moments just about as much as we connect to commercials: They spin through our heads, but we don’t remember them, and we rarely actually care.

Journalists don’t share moments; they tell stories. And that’s exactly what the eight graduating newspaper journalists have done for the Metea Valley community.  They didn’t just tell us what was happening: They dug deeper to find out why. They didn’t just share that students struggled during and after the pandemic: They talked to them, talked to experts, got under the surface, and told their stories.  

These students listened, interviewed, connected, and told the stories that walk Metea Valley’s halls. Not as a passing, forgotten moment, but as a cohesive, meaningful story. Our school community was made richer by the stories they told.

PJ: When I first had you in class as a freshman, I saw a deeply thoughtful, kind, complex young man, but also a person who wasn’t quite sure what he was all about. Today, I see a PJ who is just as thoughtful, kind, and complex — but also one who is ready to take on the world, aware of his own importance and power to make the world around him a better place.

Knox: You are incredible because you are exactly the person you are supposed to be. I am continually in awe of how self-assured you are. This confidence allows you to be a rock for others: A calming presence when life can feel so confusing.

Allison: Being a copy editor is tough. Ultimately, your job is to point out other people’s mistakes, and it takes a special person to do that with clarity, kindness, and encouragement. It’s a hard needle to thread, but you did it every day — and the results speak for themselves. Not only did you catch the little capitalization, punctuation, and AP errors, but you taught others how to catch them themselves. And all the while, you led by example, publishing ambitious and quality journalism yourself.

Killian: You are naturally curious — especially about other people. And I think this is what makes you such a strong leader: You know that effective leadership is built upon connection. Again and again, I have seen you build and lead a thriving team of creative minds, and it just comes so naturally for you.

Sydney: The third Burleyson to be an MV journalist, you put your own unique stamp on it. It was so much fun watching you find your voice and grow as a leader on our staff — first a small section, and then the whole team. Whatever you put your mind to, you do well: A short sports story; a long review; a thoughtful feature. And you do it your own way, as I know you will continue to chart your own path to your future.

Christina: I’m not quite sure how you do what you do. You are the editor-in-chief of an award-winning website that has published well over 200 articles this year. Each of those required planning, communication, monitoring, and quality control. Many also required troubleshooting. A few required hard conversations. But somehow, without breaking a sweat, you got it all done. You make people want to be better. You get involved when expectations drop, but you also know when to delegate to your team. You react when needed, and you also know when to get out of the way. And you are consistent and reliable, making you an easy leader for others to follow.

Madison: I still remember your first story: A Zoom interview with Dr. Echols during remote learning. And you did it without the slightest hesitation or unease. You are bold, ambitious, and unflinching. Whether you are covering a tough breaking news story with clarity, or troubleshooting a complex story with determination, your unflappable leadership has been a backbone to the most important thing we do: Report the news.

Ayaana: It has been deeply rewarding to see you grow as a leader. You came into this class a great artist, but art is often an individual pursuit. As editor-in-chief, you practice a different kind of art: Creating, nurturing, developing, refining, and publishing collaborative pieces of art — six magazines — that were visually stunning and journalistically sound. You played the role of lead designer, but you also knew how to get the best out of your team to create art together. 

These eight students have left an enduring mark on our school by telling our stories. While many moments will be forgotten, our story will be remembered, and will be preserved, by these eight young journalists. 

I am deeply grateful not just for the moments we shared, but that they have become a part of my own story.