Bomb threats shutdown local libraries

Luisa Bernardino
Illinois is no place for book bans, yet libraries face ugly consequences.

Libraries in Aurora, Evanston, Addison, Schaumburg, Streamwood, Hanover Park, and Chicago received unfounded bomb threats over the past month. According to the police, the libraries received threats from online sources. Many of the libraries were evacuated, and surrounding roads were also shut down for some time. The Eola Road branch and the Santori Library are unable to comment on the matter, due to the current ongoing investigation.

Authorities did not confirm whether the threats are connected.  Nothing alarming has been found at any of the libraries. Currently, many threats are being actively investigated. According to an article by Fox 32 Chicago, Detective Rich Wistocki of BeSure Consulting announced that offenders could face between 10 to 30 years in prison if convicted.

“These threats are disrupting the normal flow of services and access for people,” LMC director Amy Madzinski said. “Because of the threats, they have to close down for an abundance of caution, whether it’s a true threat [or not].”

These digital bomb threats are a part of the countrywide terrorization of libraries for exhibiting books about sexual and racial identity, which have been indicated as unsuitable for children. Conservatives claim that public libraries stock on pornography targeting kids, otherwise funding shortages would shut them down. Meanwhile, liberals continue to attack and criticize books like “Hate U Give” and “The Bluest Eye”, which talk about racism and the struggles of being a person of color in America. 

According to The Office of Intellectual Freedom, between January 1 and August 31, 2023, a total of 98 titles were challenged in attempts to restrict access to books. Nationwide, 3923 titles were challenged. 

“There seems to be a national epidemic going on where people want to basically limit other people’s freedom to read whatever they want,” Madzinski said. “I hope it brings awareness to our right to read, rather than people taking materials out of context and deeming them inappropriate.” 

While in some states, several books have already been banned, Governor JB Pritzker recently signed a bill to ban book bans in Illinois, which takes effect by January 1, 2024. The bill states that certain grants will be taken away from the secretary of state’s office if policies prohibiting book bans are not enforced. 

On September 12, Illinois Secretary of State Alexi Giannoulias testified in a U.S. Senate committee meeting to promote the anti-book-ban law. 

“We want our schools and libraries to be open and welcoming settings for education, not cultural battlefields,” Giannoulias said. “This legislation aims to unify our communities and seeks to restore a right that some of us may have grown to take for granted — the freedom to think for ourselves.”

As the State Librarian of Illinois, Ginnoulias also sympathized with the library staff.

“Our librarians have been harassed, threatened & intimidated for simply doing their jobs,” Ginnoulias said. 

“I have a very good relationship with the Aurora Public Library contact for the teen section. I actually talked to them right after all this happened, and they said that it shook up everyone and made everyone uncomfortable, which is probably the goal of the people that are doing it,” Madzinski said. “It’s hard to be in that position. I would probably [feel] the same way.” 

Sam Patil
Sam is a sophomore and this is her first year on staff as Perspective Editor. She likes to listen to true crime podcasts, cook, violently organize, then reorganize. Some more practical hobbies include web design, graphic design, photography, and writing.  You can find her in the library or any large body of water housing ducks.
Luisa Bernardino
Luisa is a sophomore and it is her first year on staff as the Diversity Editor and a graphic designer. She loves to read, draw, sketch, and listen to music. Whenever she isn’t feeling avidly burnt out due to studying or listening to music way more than people should, you can find her in the library or Roleplaying.

• W

WillOct 3, 2023 at 9:09 pm

Amazing story!