Developing healthy study strategies can lower stress over AP exams

Luisa Bernardino
AP testing can bring anxiety and stress to students due to the challenge of balancing schoolwork and studies.

Metea will hold Advanced Placement (AP) exams, from May 6 to the 17. While the exams may increase stress for students, there are many resources and strategies available to help with preparation.

A common practice before a large test is to stay up late cramming. However, this is an unhealthy habit and can lower the chances of performing well. According to Stanford University, cramming before a test can result in anxiety, hunger, and frustration, since the brain does not have enough time to process information

“Just before the exam, make sure that you are eating well nutritionally and that you’re trying to get a good night’s sleep,” Director of counseling and AP coordinator Darcy Hutzler said. “Don’t be tempted to stay up all night studying, since you’ve been working hard for this all year. You don’t want to sacrifice being well rested for the exam.”

Sophomore Jasmitha Kokanti began preparing for her AP exams early to avoid stress right before.

“I spread my review for the AP tests right after spring break so I felt as though I had a lot of time to do both school work as well as AP exams,” Kokanti said. “I spend an hour a day for each AP and have found that to work for me.”

However, many students find it difficult to manage the AP exam with their school work and other responsibilities.

“A lot of my stress comes with not having enough time because of all the other things I have going on like sports, work, senior activities, hanging out with my friends and family,” senior Zoe Kirkman said. “So in order to manage it I make a study schedule that starts 3 weeks before my exam with built in days off if something happens so I can catch up. If I get super worried about it I remind myself that these tests can help me in the future, but if I do poorly I know that I will just have to take another class.”

Students can also prepare for the upcoming tests by participating in class. Each AP class teaches a curriculum which reflects the exam.

“The most important thing with studying for the AP exam is the long-term commitment in class,” Kokanti said.

Another stressor for students is catching up with missing work. Due to their exams, AP testers miss the beginning or end of the day, some even miss both. However, all students are expected to turn in their work.

“Sometimes the school work gets pushed to a back burner because I am so focused on studying for my tests, but I think teachers do a really good job of being aware of AP tests and the amount of time they give us to work on things in class,” Kirkman said.

AP exams can provide additional opportunities for students. Receiving a score of 5,4, or 3 results in college credit, which can lower costs at college or complete general education requirements.

“By taking a course that provides [students] with a college level learning opportunity while still in high school, it can prepare them for the college experience,” Hutzler said. “So if they’re interested in going on to a two year or four year college after high school, they have exposure to that.”

However, Hutzler also urges students to select classes that will not be damaging to their mental health or productivity.

“As you’re thinking about next year’s courses, think about having a balanced course load,” Hutzler said. “Manage your time and don’t take on more than you feel you can handle. Make sure you have classes that are challenging but not too overwhelming.”