1:1 technology program introduces Google Chromebooks to students

Chesney Wargo

By Chesney Wargo
News Writer
Photo by Brittany Coates

Select Metea Valley classes are piloting Google Chromebooks for the 2016-2017 school year to prepare for each student getting one the following year. This year, classes such as American Society, Peer Partners, and AP English III have tested out the new Google Chromebooks.

Language Arts teacher Erin Kulinski explained the goals of the program, some of which includes providing students with real world technology skills and integrating the digital world into coursework.

“Simply, my hope is to introduce and implement tools to help students best engage with class and content. It’s an exciting time for us, and I hope to pass on all the things I learn[ed] this year to my peers,” Kulinski said.

Teachers are planning to utilize the new technology to its every extent. The Chromebooks will be put to work, whether it be in the form of lesson plans, homework, or classroom activities.

“We can use this technology to have information at our fingertips in seconds. We can use programs at the same time to collaborate in and out of the classroom, and we can use programs to express our creativity in presentation of information,” Kulinski said.

Currently, Google programs such as Classroom, Drive, and Docs are used as a foundation in most classes, so the addition of the Google Chromebook will make it easier for students to complete and turn in assignments.

“The Chromebooks don’t change our curriculum, but it will change our approach and what we can do with our curriculum,” Kulinski said.

Students are especially excited for opportunities the new Chromebook program brings. The fast communication between students and teachers is an important way for students to utilize the new technology.

“I think the Chromebook will help the collaboration aspect of the classroom. For the revisions in English, multiple people can go on your document and make comments and concerns that will help you in the long run,” junior Nina Koeppen said.

Although most kids can’t wait to dive into a more modern classroom, some students worry about the possible problems with the new program.

“I think that some classes are going to start creating a lot of the homework and activities over computers, but they really need to keep in mind that not everyone has Wi-Fi or Internet access from their homes,” Koeppen said.

Even with the uncertainties, Kulinski remains positive that students will adapt and prosper from this new introduction of technology in the classrooms.

“I think this move to 1:1 is really going to open some doors for our students. I hope they feel the same,” Kulinski said.