Filed under News

Latino Heritage Month helps educate students on the experiences of Latino Americans

Photo by: Brittany Coates

Latino Heritage Month, like Black History Month, was created to cherish the lives and history of Latino Americans across the country. It takes place from Sept. 15 through Oct. 15, which is a very important time period for many Spanish-speaking countries. “Many different Spanish-speaking countries celebrate their independence days…within those two dates. That’s why it’s mid-September to mid-October,” Dean Jennifer Reyes stated.

The celebrations at Metea happened between 3rd and 5th period. Classes would head into the library or into a forum room and listen to a variety of presentations about the lives and history of many Latino Americans.

One of the presentations was led by a group of “Abuelos,” or grandparents/elders. They spoke about what it was like growing up as a Latino American, what their life was like, and some of their struggles they had to deal with. The speakers had a variety of backgrounds, which ranged from coming to the US as a child, being born and raised in Chicago, and moving to the US later in life and moving up in the world to gain success. “It was in my mind that I was going to move to the United States and I wasn’t going to live a mediocre life. It doesn’t matter what I do, it doesn’t matter what it’ll take me. If it means taking two full jobs plus being a mom, I’m going to do it,” successful real estate broker and hotel owner Nely Tagle said.

Moments like that are why this month is seen by many Latino Americans see this month as important. This month and its celebrations we had for it helps educate on the uninformed about the lives and struggles of Latino Americans, which is more important than ever in this political environment. “Americans are very kept away from a lot of other things, and basically our ignorance expands into that prejudice and racism. So feel that educating others will hopefully take aways some of that ignorance,” Dean Reyes said.

9 Responses to “Latino Heritage Month helps educate students on the experiences of Latino Americans”

1. Why did they make everyone go there? on October 12th, 2017 6:07 pm

For the last 2 years they just did it during 4th period and made it optional, extending 4th period to an hour long. Now not only did I have to attend something I didn’t want to, I didn’t get time to work on an assignment in English, AND they closed the LMC! My 4th period class is across the school in the D hallway on my left and my 5th period class is upstairs in the H hallway on the opposite side of the hallway! How do I get to class on time without forcefully pushing my way through the crowded hallway when I have to go around the LMC?!

2. 谢洋洋 on October 13th, 2017 9:41 am

I disagree with Latino Heritage Month and Black History Month.

And here is why;

Any history or event that happens in AMERICA is AMERICAN HISTORY. We could learn more in the classroom instead. Morgan Freeman makes a statement about Black History Month he disagrees with it. He said that “Black history” is apart of American History. If there is Black History Month why can there be Asian Heritage Month, Jewish History Month, or Muslim Heritage Month?

You are just creating unnecessary events that waste time. Eventually every month is going to be “_______ Month”.

Someone Reply:

True, this did waste many people’s time. This took my English period away from me, and I really needed class time that day to finish up an assignment. But thanks to this assembly I couldn’t work on that, I couldn’t eat my lunch (I usually eat during English since I have 3rd period “lunch”), I had to listen to something that really doesn’t apply to me, I couldn’t even use the bathroom! I figured I would just do homework while I was there, but about 5 minutes after I started working on it, my teacher not only told me to pack it up, she also made me sit up front!

Be thankful Reply:

Well would you rather be at the pep assembly?

谢洋洋 Reply:

How about we don’t bring race into the education system?

Bro... Reply:

Because these races are the races that get the most discrimination and hate. We do these things because we want to embrace their culture. Also, Muslim is a RELIGION, not an ethnicty/race. Thanks, just needed to educate you on that.

Eli Reply:

amen

3. A person on October 13th, 2017 6:19 pm

Yea why isn’t there like an Indian Heritage Month thing?

• Latino Heritage Month helps educate students on the experiences of Latino Americans

News

Literary magazine hosts scary story competition

News

Aurora and Naperville Mayors inspire interest in local government

News

Giving back: helping young victims of Hurricane Harvey

News

Is homecoming too early this year?

News

MVHS takes on National English Honors Society

News

Improv team prepares for auditions on Friday

News

Students bring the community together for a permanent memorial on 9/11

News

Chinese delegation gets a close look at Metea Valley

News

Student organizations to collect money for hurricane relief

News

Readiness Days jump start the new year