Filed under Entertainment

The Evolution of Disney Channel

The Walt Disney Company has impacted many lives in a significantly positive way for years. One of their greatest ideas, which was developed in the year of 1983, was The Disney Channel.

This was created for television shows. Unfortunately being born in almost 20 years after the launch of this cable television network, I was unable to enjoy some of the original shows it offered such as “DuckTales”,  which produced episodes from 1987 until 1990, and “The All New Mickey Mouse Club”, whose last episode aired in 1994.

In the 90’s, The Disney Channel expanded upon their origins and created more shows based on Walt Disney’s original movies. “The Little Mermaid” television series was one of the first, which was about the main character, Ariel, and her adventures in the sea before the events of the movie. “Aladdin” was also a television show at one point that followed the titular character and Princess Jasmine during their lives post film. By 1998, Disney targeted a younger audience with a new channel called Playhouse Disney that offered many educational concepts for preschoolers.

I believed that Disney Channel was at its prime when it entered the 2000’s. Not only were the shows so purely entertaining, they also tackled real life issues. “That’s So Raven” and “The Proud Family” had episodes that displayed characters with body image problems which were helped by the support of family and friends. Also “Lizzie McGuire,” was a show  about a young girl living here adolescent life, but showed relatable reactions to real life situations through her cartoon alter ego. Some honorable mentions of this era are as follows: “Kim Possible” (2002-2007), “The Suite Life of Zack and Cody” (2005-2008) and lastly, everyone’s favorite “Hannah Montana” (2006-2011).

The period from Disney’s prime to the early 2010’s is what I like to call the transition period that offered the last few shows that I actually enjoyed. “Shake it up” “Jessie” and “Good Luck Charlie” were a part of this transition period of very different shows about dance, a nanny and an older sister who was giving advice to her younger sister. I feel like the shows started to highlight the humor rather than real issues, but that isn’t really a problem. I understand that talking about some topics can get a little boring, but in the early 2000’s shows, I feel like they handled certain topics along with being very entertaining.

As for the most recent shows on The Disney Channel, I have no opinion about them at all because I really don’t watch them. I’ve heard some great things about some of the shows like “Andi Mack” and “Stuck in the Middle” but I haven’t seen any episode to really speak on them.

Recently Disney channel has started rebooting  television shows from their past like “Girl Meets World”, which was a spin off of the original “Boy Meets World”, and the show “Raven’s Home”, which is a show dedicated to the series “That’s So Raven.”  These “new” shows bring back memories that are intensely nostalgic but they aren’t really the same as back when the authentic shows came out .

Ryah Walker, Perspectives Reporter
Ryah Walker is a junior perspectives journalist. This is her first year on staff and she is involved with BG stampede and Metea Valley’s theater program. She travels often which allows for some cool experiences and amazing stories.
Kennedy Homan, Graphic Designer
I am currently a junior entering my first year of journalism as a graphic designer. Outside of school I attend Gamers Club and Improv on the weekly basis, and when I am not attending a club, I develop my drawing skills while selling commissions through online communities. I also love ducks.
1 Comment

One Response to “The Evolution of Disney Channel”

1. p on May 25th, 2018 7:35 am

Don’t forget the new DUCK TALES-WOO-OOO

• The Evolution of Disney Channel

13 reasons why season two is terrible *SPOILERS*

• The Evolution of Disney Channel

The history of the podcast

• The Evolution of Disney Channel

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery takes up too much energy

• The Evolution of Disney Channel

Kane County Cougars showcase excellence in sports and entertainment

• The Evolution of Disney Channel

Infinity War unites fans from all Marvel films *SPOILERS*

• The Evolution of Disney Channel

John Mulaney kids gorgeously in ‘Kid Gorgeous’

• The Evolution of Disney Channel

Brittany and Maddie take on: The Food Truck Festival

• The Evolution of Disney Channel

Liam's Tunes

Liam’s Tunes: May

• The Evolution of Disney Channel

J. Cole Releases Another Story Telling Album with ‘KOD’

• The Evolution of Disney Channel

04.26.18 Mane

The Evolution of Disney Channel