Filed under Sports

Cross Country teams show off skill for fundraiser

The cross country teams are full of hard workers. This hard work shows in practices and meets, and interestingly, also in their fundraisers. The teams can showcase their talents during the Run-A-Thon. The run-a-thon is their annual fundraiser that allows people to donate in a unique way. Tomorrow at 1 p.m. the boys and girls teams will be taking it on.

The run-a-thon is a fundraiser where runners run as many laps as they can in an hour and they ask for donations on either a flat amount or a donation per lap. So a parent or spectator could donate 25 cents per lap, or just throw out a 20 dollar bill. These donations can definitely help the team fulfill their needs.

The boys and girls cross country teams both benefit from the Run-A-Thon. “The teams definitely benefit because we can use the money to get new uniforms, equipment, and we can go to meets and buy food for each meet,” Kazmi said. “It’s important that we raise money and raise awareness about our program so we can keep going.”

The Run-A-Thon is a unique way for the teams to raise money because it isn’t just a group of high school students selling cookies or brownies, it’s a team running together and showcasing their talents to raise money. “It isn’t just selling cookies. That could be anything. If you see someone selling cookies you don’t know what program they are a part of necessarily. If you see the Run-A-Thon, you know that it’s cross country or it’s track,” Kazmi said.

Metea’s cross country runners are proud to be a part of the Run-A-Thon because they have the opportunity to show how hard they have worked and they have the opportunity to raise money for their program so they can continue to go to meets and the program can continue to grow. “It’s awesome being a part of the cross country team because we work with really awesome kids and we are excited about the potential and the future for our young runners and what the older runners can do this year,” coach Thomas Womack said. To see it for yourself and donate, come out to Metea at 1 p.m. tomorrow.

Madison McCalley, Sports Reporter & Photographer

Madison is a junior and this is her first year on the Journalism staff. She is a sports reporter and photographer. If she isn’t busy taking photos or writing stories and sports updates, she is spending time with her friends and family, riding horses, volunteering in her community, and listening to her favorite artists.

Nate Burleyson, Sports Editor

Nate Burleyson is the Sports Editor and the local blog boy of Meteamedia.org. He is commonly found writing, watching sports, or napping. You can follow him on twitter @NBurleyson for tweets about his awkward interactions, movie thoughts, and sports hot takes. He also helps run the Mane and is a member of the community crew at Naperville Community Television.

7 Responses to “Cross Country teams show off skill for fundraiser”

1. Anshul on September 21st, 2018 7:56 am

Ya Saiffy

2. Reality on September 21st, 2018 8:03 am

I’m suprised this is even an article.

3. Crystal Wong on September 21st, 2018 12:24 pm

Nice article for the runners in cross country and the marathon Madison, that’s my best friend right there.

4. The Plum on September 21st, 2018 1:29 pm

The Cross Country Team is irrelevant to our school. Spend more money on football!

5. A concerned Metea student on September 23rd, 2018 3:31 pm

Hey, can you guys change the comments back to the way they originally were where you could comment in response to someone else. The way the comments are currently set up makes it difficult to have any semblance of a proper conversation/discourse.

6. Sayaka Araki on September 26th, 2018 9:57 pm

Money don’t buy talent @ThePlum
    Even if we fund the football team, they probably get worse anyways.

7. Daly Nelson on September 29th, 2018 3:47 pm

Good article

• Cross Country teams show off skill for fundraiser

Sports

Overtime goal lifts boys’ soccer to regional final

Sports

NBA season preview: predictions, storylines, and more

Sports

Weekly Sports Update 10/8-10/13

Sports

Girls swim and dive seniors’ spark emotional thoughts towards swim experience

Sports

A pair of second period goals lift varsity hockey over Glenbard

Sports

Weekly Sports Update 10/1-10/6

Sports

Cross Country shows off growth at unique nighttime meet

Sports

Previewing the Cubs wildcard game

Sports

Weekly Sports Update 9/24 – 9/29

Sports

Varsity Hockey wins season opener in outlandish fashion