Filed under Profiles

Humans of Metea: Macy Margherio

Senior Macy Margherio is one of the teen directors for Operation Snowball, a weekend retreat that is focused on empowering youth and an international AOTD-free program. She has influenced this program with her leadership role and her passion for building support systems through students.

What is your position?

I am a student staff member for Operation Snowball and I am also one of the teen directors for this fall. We help run the whole weekend, we choose the staff. This is the highest position a teen can go.

What is Snowball?

It is a weekend retreat that happens in the fall and in the sprint. It is powered by 360 youth services, which is a counseling organization. You leave on a Friday and get back on a Sunday. We promote teens to be ATOD free, and also wants teens to have a positive mindset, positive mental health, meet a lot of people. It is super fun, especially as a high schooler when life is stressing you out.

Why is Operation Snowball important to you?

Snowball is something very near and dear to me. It has helped me in times where I really needed a support system. It has helped me in times where I didn’t really love myself and I wasn’t where I was supposed to be, so I embraced that love and I tried to give it to other people. Me, personally, I teach others how to be that support system and I feel like in whatever situation that people go through, if they at least have one person that has their back, then they get through anything.

How have you impacted Snowball?

I feel that I am a strong leader, and I will be serious when I need to. But, I also like to find the fun in everything. For my greatest strength, I [would] say my passion for the program.

What is your favorite experience at Snowball?

My first Snowball was very eye-opening. I came to the program not knowing what to expect. I was just someone who needed an adventure. I realized things about myself that I never knew. One thing I always say is ‘snowball opened me up to a love that I never knew existed’. One of the staffers from last year said ‘you can’t get this feeling anywhere else’.

About the Photographer
Maddie Crabtree, Metea Media Editor-in-Chief

Maddie Crabtree is a Senior and the Editor-in-Chief of Metea Media. She has been on staff for three years and has a huge passion for all things journalism. She placed first in Illinois and third in the nation for review writing this past year. Besides journalism, Maddie has also been on cheer for the last three years. Maddie is almost always at a Warriors Hockey game too. If she’s not in the newsroom or cheer, she’s probably just scrolling through Twitter (@omgeemaddie) or Instagram (@maddie_crabtree).

3 Responses to “Humans of Metea: Macy Margherio”

1. Griffin moriarty on September 26th, 2018 10:57 am

Why are they awarding females? Hysterical.

2. Griffin Moriarty on September 27th, 2018 11:43 am

Hello, my name is Griffin Moriarty. Please recognize that all other comments on this social platform that have been made under my name are false and do not represent my beliefs or views. Whoever made the parking pass comment, however, is absolutely correct. I will not make any further comments on this platform, thus please take note that all future comments made under my name are being published by other students.

3. darkstripe on October 10th, 2018 12:58 pm

it’d be funny if they did a humans of metea interview for a kid that genuinely not really doing anything… “so what are you planning to do this school year” “oh nothing much really”

• Humans of Metea: Macy Margherio

Profiles

Students start nonprofit tutoring organization

• Humans of Metea: Macy Margherio

Profiles

The faces of Special Olympics

• Humans of Metea: Macy Margherio

Profiles

Humans of Metea: Emily Pokrant

• Humans of Metea: Macy Margherio

Profiles

Meet the newest additions to the teaching staff

• Humans of Metea: Macy Margherio

Profiles

Humans of Metea: Jorge Samayoa

• Humans of Metea: Macy Margherio

Profiles

Farewell Friday: The Stampede Seniors

• Humans of Metea: Macy Margherio

Profiles

Farewell Friday: Alexa Jordan

• Humans of Metea: Macy Margherio

Profiles

Mr. Oldham shares his musical talent with students

• Humans of Metea: Macy Margherio

Profiles

Farewell Friday: Lucas Francisco

• Humans of Metea: Macy Margherio

Profiles

Farewell Friday: Megha Prasad

Humans of Metea: Macy Margherio