Filed under Entertainment

The holiday season brings beautiful tradition to the city

Ethan Meyers

Ethan Meyers

Ethan Meyers

Winter is the best time of the year, filled with tradition and catching up with family. Christmas also brings some of the best activities to do in the city of Chicago.

There are many things that the city offers for this time of year. One of the first occurring traditions is a parade called the Magnificent Mile Lights Festival. The floats in this parade have beautiful displays of lights, musical performances, and some of your favorite holiday characters such as Santa Claus and his reindeer. As the parade goes by, you can watch Mickey Mouse and his friends light up the Christmas tree lights. It’s a fun time for kids and adults alike.

Another exciting activity to do is go on the Chicago Trolley Holiday Lights Tour. It is a tour that contains some of the best light exhibits that Chicago has to offer. Once you board the trolley, you are welcomed with a warm and cozy atmosphere while holiday music is playing in the background. Some of the stops include the Lincoln Park Zoo to see the Zoolights, the Christkindlmarket (which is a holiday tradition in itself), and a stop at Sprinkles for your own handcrafted cupcake. This is a magical experience that is sure to give you some Christmas spirit.

Every year there are different plays and musicals that are Christmas themed that come to the Broadway in Chicago. One annual play is “A Christmas Carol,” which captures a look into Christmas past, present and future of an old man named Ebenezer Scrooge. It’s a great Christmas classic and plays all through the holiday season.

The Winter Wonderfest in Chicago’s Navy Pier is one of the best ways to celebrate the holiday. With indoor carnival rides, ice skating, and tasty holiday treats, the Winter Wonderfest is a beautiful festive celebration.

Chicago has so many activities to offer during this holiday season, and it’s all only an hour away. These city traditions are sure to keep you cozy with holiday spirit even when the weather is frightful.

About the Writer
Ryah Walker, Perspectives Reporter

Ryah Walker is a junior perspectives journalist. This is her first year on staff and she is involved with BG stampede and Metea Valley's theater program....

6 Responses to “The holiday season brings beautiful tradition to the city”

1. Nintendo #1 Fan on December 12th, 2017 2:20 pm

Christmas is best!

2. Cassie Weddle on December 13th, 2017 9:46 am

A Christmas/New Years tradition for my family is when we go into Chicago. When we go, it is to see the windows at Macy’s that they set up for Christmas. We also like to eat out there on that day. What is a Christmas tradition for your family?

3. darkstripe on December 14th, 2017 7:27 am

we brutally mock christmas specials and point out how stupid a lot of them are. fun times

4. Chroma on December 14th, 2017 11:39 pm

On an intellectual level I have come to the consensus that the holiday season is good for the adolesence but bad for the overall culture status of Americans.

5. Chris on December 15th, 2017 1:29 pm

Oh yes, you seemlike a very intellectua person l. I mean only a very intelligent person would go on a positive article about the wonders of Christmas in Chicago and muck it up with a compleatly irrelevant and frankly rude comment.

6. Chroma on December 18th, 2017 9:43 pm

On an intellectual level I have come to the consensus that the reply function is good for the adolesence but bad for the overall culture status of Americans.

• The holiday season brings beautiful tradition to the city

The Lightning Thief: The Percy Jackson Musical starts its national tour in Chicago

The death of Stephen Hillenburg, creator of Spongebob, devastates our generation.

New Artist Profile: Family Reunion

Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu Meets Expectations on the Switch

‘Ralph Breaks the Internet’ is a satisfying and surprisingly profound sequel

Ben's Guide to Musical Theater

Ben’s Guide to Musical Theater: Songs for a New World

The death of Marvel legend Stan Lee leaves a massive hole in the comic book industry

‘Overlord’ is a twisted, sci-fi infused take on world war 2

Your choices do not matter in Deltarune

‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ is a somewhat weak but ultimately moving tribute to a culture-defining star