Filed under Entertainment

Coco: how Pixar creates a story

Nineteen films. 22 years. No one does animation better than Pixar. Their films speak to all ages and create a great movie-going experience for parents and children alike. There is a formula known as the ‘Pixar Pitch’ that can outline your story in a clean and clear-cut manner. It is simple: Once upon a time, Every Day, One day, Because of that, Because of that, Until Finally,

Let’s look at Finding Nemo. Once upon a time, there was a fish living with his son. Every day he was very overprotective. One day his son gets fed up with his father’s antics and goes out into dangerous waters. Because of that he gets captured and taken to a dentist’s office. Because of that, his father goes across the ocean to find him. Until finally, he finds him and brings him home.

Do you get the gist? Well, this formula has proven time and time again to be an effective way to tell a story. The beef and the complexity is added on to the structure. We see this same formula executed in 2017’s “Coco.”

Every ‘Dia de Los Muertos’, or Day of the Dead, ancestors who have their picture on their family’s ofrenda, the decorative altar made to honor the deceased, can travel back to visit them in spirit. They spend most of their time in the Land of the Dead, a colorful city where people live in the afterlife.

Our hero, Miguel lives in a family that outlawed music after an ancestor left his family in pursuit of his musical dream. The strict policy against music naturally drives Miguel to rebel and play music himself. He is transported to the land of the dead after an encounter with an ancient guitar, where he discovers things about his past and himself. Part of his journey is trying to find his great ancestor who is responsible for the music rule.

The story has the skeleton of any Pixar flick. Some add-ons are commentary on family history, pressure, and memory. Just like other Pixar projects, “Coco” is a deep and wonderful look into a beautiful world that kids and adults can enjoy together. Part of what makes Pixar special is its appeal to a diverse audience. “Coco” has mature concepts that can be appreciated by anyone and everyone.

Pixar’s world-building is unmatched. They create amazing worlds where the improbable happens. The visuals and animation aspect is a whole different article on its own. By creating visual contrast over the dark land of the dead, there is a brightness brought to those who have passed and are remembered, connecting itself to the story in a thoughtful way.

They include humane elements to the characters and give them flaws and struggle. Lightning McQueen is cocky, Carl from “Up” is bitter in his old age, and Miguel is harsh and a bit selfish, causing some heartbreaking scenes in the film. These flaws add an edge to Pixar’s films.

“Coco” is much like its predecessors, beautiful in many ways. It’s unique, interesting, and appealing to all. As long as Pixar keeps its formula, we will have many great films for the years to come. 

Nate Burleyson, Sports Editor

Nate Burleyson is the Sports Editor and the local blog boy of Meteamedia.org. He is commonly found writing, watching sports, or napping. You can follow him on twitter @NBurleyson for tweets about his awkward interactions, movie thoughts, and sports hot takes. He also helps run the Mane and is a member of the community crew at Naperville Community Television.

Kennedy Homan, Graphics Editor

Kennedy Homan is a person of many different problems. She likes ducks too much, she throws stuffed animals at people in school, and she has no social life due to drawing too much. Her haircut might as well be copyrighted due to it never changing, and her sense of fashion is wearing black capri every day of school no matter the weather. She strives to do graphic novels, but she isn’t a creative writer, so her future is semi-planned out.

7 Responses to “Coco: how Pixar creates a story”

1. DIdney Fan on December 19th, 2017 8:01 am

Pixar is one of the Best Movie studios out there! Who’s with me!?

2. reddietrash on December 19th, 2017 8:19 am

Oof

3. E l u s i v e on December 19th, 2017 11:03 am

Oofles*

4. darkstripe on December 19th, 2017 9:06 am

“the skeleton of any pixar flick” is that a pun

5. steven L on December 19th, 2017 1:03 pm

nice

6. Chroma on December 19th, 2017 5:17 pm

Okay, this may seem minor to most people, but as someone who greatly likes seeing living skeletons in all different media forms, the way the skeletons look in this movie is simply terrible. The generally stylized proportions I can look past – stylizing the visuals of a movie can often serve to set it apart in one’s memory and make it more visually engaging. What I can’t look past are the malleable bone lips (not to mention the general lack of separation of most of the bones on the faces), the preposterous inclusion of eyes and hair, or the downright sickening representation of skeletons as simply people.

The movie’s plot is fine, although it is far from spectacular, and it has quite a few interesting visuals. Unfortunately, that’s pretty much the only positive statement I can make about the film.

7. The Dusty Dindu on December 19th, 2017 5:52 pm

I didn’t ask

• Coco: how Pixar creates a story

‘Bad Times at the El Royale’ is a suspenseful mystery with a killer ensemble cast

• Coco: how Pixar creates a story

Super Mario Party brings the franchise back to the golden age

• Coco: how Pixar creates a story

‘Venom’ is a rocky but promising start for Sony’s universe of Marvel characters

• Coco: how Pixar creates a story

“Night School” is a disjointed comedy with a surprising amount of heart

• Coco: how Pixar creates a story

‘Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown’ starts host’s posthumous season

• Coco: how Pixar creates a story

Olivia Munn leads a promising but forgettable cast of bumbling misfits in ‘The Predator’

• Coco: how Pixar creates a story

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream Analysis

• Coco: how Pixar creates a story

Anna Kendrick shines in stylish but overcomplicated thriller

• Coco: how Pixar creates a story

Staff Playlist

Stampede Staff Playlist: September Edition

• Coco: how Pixar creates a story

Ben's Guide to Musical Theater

Ben’s Guide to Musical Theater: Come From Away

Coco: how Pixar creates a story