Filed under News

Deans crack down on parking pass violators

Over the last two weeks, deans have pulled juniors and seniors out of class for one specific reason: parking pass violations. Students who have been parking without a parking pass received behavior referrals. Consequences ranged from warnings to after-school detentions.

A parking violation is considered a “Tier 2” violation, which also includes bribery, truancy, failing to serve punishments, public displays of affection, safety violations, and even possession of illicit goods, according to the student handbook. Honor House dean Jennifer Rowe explained that the tier system functions to unify consequences district-wide and to make sure that students receive fair treatment across the board.

“We put [parking violations] as a tier 2 because it is a privilege…we tend to give a warning, so that, in a way, is a tier 1,” Rowe said.

Senior Svanik Tandon received a warning for parking without a parking pass this week. “A lot of students are expressing frustration right now about this whole situation just because there’s a lot of open spots that we all can see, but they’re reserved for the marching band,” Tandon said. “We’re all very understanding that marching band needs to use that space, but I think we would appreciate it if the deans could just take it easy on [the kids that can’t get a parking pass] just because of the marching band lot right now.”

According to reporting from the Mane, Metea Valley’s administrative team decided to block off the far parking lot until after marching band ends. Marching band uses the large space to mirror the space they use on the field during football games.

“We value [marching band] as much as we do the football team,” Rowe said regarding the administration’s closing of that parking lot. Rowe estimates there are 150 spots that are blocked off. When marching band season ends in October, the school will sell additional parking passes.

In the meantime, students who drive to school can buy daily parking passes. When students pay five dollars for a daily pass and sign in, they are on the list provided to parking lot monitors.

“When our staff is checking the parking lot, which they regularly do, [they] make sure that anyone who’s parked here — staff and students — is showing their current Metea parking ID,” Rowe said.

The current price for a year-long parking pass is $150, but paying daily until the passes come up for availability again in October totals close to $300. “That is not designed for kids to park every day. Parking is a privilege,” Rowe said.

According to Rowe, Metea’s parking lots are owned by the City of Aurora, not the school district. The city receives all of the parking fees and has full jurisdiction over the price of parking. The school does not receive any of the money from parking passes, unlike the contract Metea has with the vending machine operators.

Instead of driving, students can take the school bus. The district additionally offers activity buses which leave at 4:30 and 5:30 every day at a set list of locations. This bus requires a pass from a coach or supervisor and a signed by a parent permission slip.

“It’s really important that [kids in extracurriculars] drive, especially when we have parents that are both working,” Tandon said.

James Turnbull, Headines Reporter

James Turnbull, when not procrastinating, can often be found in the music wing and percussion room. He is a drum major of the marching band, a percussionist...

Noelle Pryor, Photographer

Noelle Pryor is a junior, this is her first year on the news journalism staff. She enjoys movies, books, music, and other sorts of media. If you’re looking...

13 Responses to “Deans crack down on parking pass violators”

1. A concerned Metea student on September 20th, 2018 1:03 pm

Another good article James. One piece of information that is new to me is the fact that Metea does not regulate the price of parking passes. That came as a surprise to me and it is a shame. Metea should be able to regulate the price of parking in the lot, and they should get the money. Parking pass prices are bogus and we need to stop the tyranny and subjugation of Aurora.

Parker rise up!

2. Griffin Moriarty on September 20th, 2018 1:19 pm

The parking pass system is complete garbage and an epitome to our society!

3. Kyle Smart on September 20th, 2018 8:34 pm

Well the administrations communication about the parking passes was absolutely horrible. In general they communicated very well about things but this was not the case for the parking passes. There are spots open in the lot all the time. As a senior at Metea I have to say I’m kind of disappointed in the way that this was handle by the school.

4. Chocolate Chip Cookie on September 21st, 2018 12:11 pm

I don’t think Griffin Moriarty knows what “epitome” means.

5. Reality on September 21st, 2018 8:17 pm

Honestly, the Marching Band is so far better than the football team, so…..
    They deserve a spot, sure, but not a place where us juniors and seniors park. Football field maybe?
    Wherever the football team practices, it doesn’t matter cause we’re going to lose every week.

6. Colin Doucette on September 22nd, 2018 8:41 am

Honestly, I think Metea should be able to regulate the price of passes. Along with the whole Marching Band thing, other students need these spots with the increase of students since the prior years. If you have a larger vehicle, you want to be able to park in that far lot because of the fact that you don’t want doors hitting your car or truck, you don’t want scratches, you don’t want to have to worry about someone hitting you in general. Thanks City of Aurora for costing us an arm and a leg!

7. geek on September 24th, 2018 8:26 am

I think that parking passes should be free for everybody, no matter how old you are and even if you dont have a license.

8. anonymous on September 25th, 2018 1:42 pm

Regarding the parking passes, we should resort to socialism and all share the spots with one another peacefully. One person can park at Metea on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. And the other person can park there on Thursday and Friday.

9. Big Jim on September 25th, 2018 1:45 pm

ok how do they know which car belongs to everyone because it costs money to plate people.

10. Ryan on September 26th, 2018 1:07 pm

I respect the marching band, but why can’t they use the side field where the gym classes play soccer? It looks like there is plenty of space over there, and then more students can use the parking lot. It would also be a lot more similar to the football field because they’d be marching on grass, not concrete.

11. Involved Parent on September 28th, 2018 8:07 am

I think some additional clarification is in order here. I called the City of Aurora and they said the parking lots are not owned or managed by the city, but by District 204.

So, first, who does actually own the parking lots at Metea? Second, where are the parking fees going, both for the daily fee and the parking permit? Lastly, who sets the fees if the city is not the owner of the lots?

As for the Marching Band, why can they not use the bus pick up/drop off parking lot once the buses depart in the afternoon?

12. subreme leaber on October 9th, 2018 7:55 am

this is why capitalism is failing and we need to change

13. jesus on October 18th, 2018 11:21 am

so you’re telling me the city of aurora demands the school charge a bunch of high school students money to park in a parking lot for an education?

• Deans crack down on parking pass violators

News

Chess team places 6th, first in history

News

Metea L.I.F.E. Abroad opens doors outside Metea

News

Veterans Day Assembly honors veterans and future service members

News

Students speak to D204 school board on lack of compliance with state law

Galleries

Gallery: Kinetic Drawing Project

News

Junior English Classes Present and Discuss Community Issues

News

Various music groups showcase talents at universities

News

UPDATE: Neuqua searched, found safe by police following bomb threat

News

Key Club backpack drive helps students in need

News

The Turning Pointe Autism Foundation organizes their third annual Pumpkin Race