Filed under Spotlight

Super Bowl VIII: One of the most boring and controversial games in a while

Did you know that the total score for this year’s Super Bowl was sixteen points? Because apparently that also matches the number of people who actually liked this year’s Super Bowl. Ain’t that a sweet victory?

It is pretty safe to say that this year’s Super Bowl was a major disappointment on all accounts. Several factors played into the overwhelmingly negative criticism that this event has received, which include the tedious and boring content, the cluttered half time show, and the disappointment in the actual teams, it appears that the fifty-third Super Bowl left a bad taste in peoples mouths.  

Even before the big game had a chance to kick off, the tension from the audience seemed to be overwhelming. This Super Bowl marked a rematch between the New England Patriots and the Los Angeles Rams, in which the former team took home the victory. But even before this historic rematch could take place, there seemed to be a steaming hatred for the Patriots, with much of the anger being directed towards Quarterback Tom Brady. Despite being considered one of the biggest athletes of our time and being lauded for his many achievements, including winning six Super Bowls, detractors tend to pin their hatred on a man who seemingly cannot lose. So it was safe to say that there was a major disappointment when the team ended up making it to the Super Bowl.

The bias targeted towards the team seemed to affect the ratings of the show. The initial Nielsen Ratings of the show were 44.9 million, which was the lowest-rated Super Bowl in a while and showcased a five percent drop since the last one. Many fans of sports, especially those in the Louisiana area, boycotted the game and refused to watch, which seemed to be attributed to the Patriots.

Even ignoring a large amount of disdain for the actual line up, it did not help that those who did watch the game found the results to be completely underwhelming. During the first few quarters of the game, not a single touch down was achieved and it seemed as though it would set the tone for the rest of the game. The Rams were unable to score a single touch down, which not only disappointed the team’s supporters but also proved to bore the most dedicated of sports fans. As already stated, when the game was finally over, the Patriots won by thirteen points, with the Rams only gaining three total. Not only was this the lowest amount of points for any Super Bowl, but the fact that the Patriots received another victory only furthered the hate for the team and Tom Brady.

Despite a rather underwhelming game, at the very least some people would be entertained by the half time show, which often proves to be a draw for many viewers of the game. Well, let us just say that the results were less than satisfactory. The show, performed primarily by Maroon 5, with guest appearances by Big Boi and Travis Scott, received major backlash from the very beginning. In 2016, several Football players kneeled during the National Anthem in order to protest police brutality and racism. One of those individuals was Colin Kaepernick, who after kicking off the protest during a 2016 preseason, was blacklisted from the NFL. This caused a large amount of controversy, and several performing artists, including Jay Z, Cardi B, and Rihanna, refused to perform at the Super Bowl in protest. The fact that Maroon 5 even performed at all was criticized by people in support of Kaepernick and greatly intensified the half time show.

Even it the controversy was not taken into account, the reaction that the half time show got was lackluster, to say the least. Many considered the half time show to be overly safe and offered no surprises. Several younger viewers also had some grievances with a short animated tribute to the late Stephen Hillenburg, showcasing characters from his popular series, “Spongebob Squarepants.” Although some were happy with the brief tribute, many expressed disappointment over the missed opportunity of not playing “Sweet Victory”, a song that was played at the end of the episode, “Band Geeks”, which parodied the Super Bowl.

Even the commercials, which were sometimes the only reason why some people watched the game, were shown to gain a massive amount of controversy and criticism. Although some were praised by audiences, including an award-winning ad featuring the Bud Light Knight and characters from Game of Thrones, others have been met with a less than stellar response. One of the commercials, which was advertising BON & VIV Spiked Seltzer, gained major controversy for its depiction of women, and many sources revealed that the audition process forced the actresses to wear a bikini and dance in front of a camera for thirty seconds.

Another controversial advertisement, featuring the brand Devour, gained a massive amount of attention, as the plot featured a man who was addicted to “food porn”. The commercial features lots of raunchy humor and graphic innuendos, most of which were not subtle about the sexual nature of the ad. While some found it hilarious, others were outraged that such an offensive commercial would be aired at the Super Bowl.

It is safe to say that this year’s Super Bowl was not a satisfying experience for much of its intended audience. Whether the NFL can learn from its mistakes in the future or listen to the public is a hopeful scenario. But considering we live in a world where Rosanne gets to sing the Star Spangled Banner, that remains to be seen.

Ben Weiss, Perspectives Editor

Ben Weiss is a senior perspectives editor and writer. It will be his second and last year on The Stampede. Other activities he’s involved in include...

Esther Whang, Graphics Designer

Esther is a senior and this is her first year doing graphic for news paper. She is also part of the swim and water polo team. On her free time, Esther...

11 Responses to “Super Bowl VIII: One of the most boring and controversial games in a while”

1. Jo on February 11th, 2019 7:29 am

The people of Louisiana didnt watch the superbowl because of the horrific call made in the rams/saints game that made their team, the New Orleans Saints lose, not because of the Patriots

2. Jack Klein on February 11th, 2019 7:40 am

I agree with this. The Super Bowl was boring and very controversial as the NFL displeased Colin Kaepernick and nobody would sign him because he is bad at football, not because of other reasons. SMH

3. Big Boi on February 11th, 2019 8:30 am

Defense wins championships. A great, not boring, game was played. If you can’t appreciate defense, then you’re not a fan of the game. A true fan would see that a great chess match was played between Bill Belichick and Wade Phillips. Early man-zone combinations confused Brady, which is a huge credit to Phillips. Confusing Tom Brady is a great achievement, considering he is a proven veteran. If you are bored with the game, fine, but don’t ruin the game for others. In a season, where high-scoring games were common, it is good that a defensive game was played showing, that the game is still two sided (+ special teams). Granted, Sean McVay didn’t perform up to expectations, but that is a credit to Bill Belichick and Brian Flores. Mixing up on ball and off ball linebackers and chipping receivers and backs on routes helped keep the high-powered Rams offense in check just like Belichick did in the Super Bowl XXXVI. It shows that old school strategies can still keep up with the new Sean Mcvay’s of the NFL.

4. Conor Mackay on February 11th, 2019 8:49 am

The reason nobody watched this Superbowl is because the Saints were robbed of their victory in the NFC championship game. Politics had nothing to do with ratings…

5. Aiden Spenner on February 11th, 2019 9:05 am

They didn’t respect spongebob in the right way, actually, can I even consider that to be a tribute to him at ALL? It was so bad since they only decided to include 10 seconds of him to introduce Travis Scott’s “Sicko mode”. The Dallas Stars, who are a DANG PROFESSIONAL HOCKEY TEAM played the full song. NFL, take notes here.

6. St. Louis on February 11th, 2019 10:11 am

“This Super Bowl marked a rematch between the New England Patriots and the St. Louis Rams”…. Gee I thought it was the Los Angeles Rams

7. Sean on February 11th, 2019 11:05 am

I didn’t like the gameplay of the superboul. But I did like the part when Mr Beast and his friends in the stands wore T-shirts that had a different word on it making up the phrase “Sub 2 Pewdiepie” It was the highlight of the Superbowl. Other then that it was boring.

8. Another NFL on February 11th, 2019 11:43 am

What’s worse, the Bears lost the first game to the Eagles, in which they didn’t even try at the end, which they could’ve beat the Rams, and maybe the Saints, but if we made it to the Super Bowl, we could’ve gotten our revenge, and like how the Rams lost the rematch, we could’ve WON the rematch, so yeah disappointing off-season.

9. Max Berglind on February 11th, 2019 2:08 pm

Patriots scored 13 and won by 10 and I didn’t know that this was super bowl 8 (VIII is 8, LIII is 53)

10. parker on February 12th, 2019 7:41 am

The only things that got me excited was the kickoff and Mr. Beast and his friends

11. Dr. Kumar on February 12th, 2019 8:23 am

I agree with Max Berglind, VIII is 8 and this is incorrect

• Super Bowl VIII: One of the most boring and controversial games in a while

Spotlight

Parkland: One Year Later

Spotlight

Adulting 101: Taxes

Spotlight

Blackfishing: A social media trend

Spotlight

AirPods: The Apple product that miraculously took over the world

Spotlight

Be humble, not arrogant

Spotlight

Largest U.S. Cigarette Provider Altria Places Stake In “Anti-Tobacco” Company JUUL

Spotlight

Unexpected government shutdown worries current seniors applying for Financial Aid

Spotlight

Jump starting your career in high school

Spotlight

The college board fails to meet the mark

Girl Talk with Abbey Malbon

Girl Talk: Midterm Elections bring diversity to Washington D.C.