Student Government hosts new pumpkin carving contest

In+order+to+submit+your+pumpkin%2C+take+a+picture+of+the+pumpkin%2C+and+caption+it+%40mvstugo+and++%23mvpumpkin2020+then+upload+it+to+Instagram.+The+top+three+winners+will+win+a+amazon+gift+card.+

Emily Shiff

In order to submit your pumpkin, take a picture of the pumpkin, and caption it @mvstugo and #mvpumpkin2020 then upload it to Instagram. The top three winners will win a amazon gift card.

The Metea Student Government is hosting a pumpkin carving contest. The Halloween themed event starts Oct.19 and continues through Oct.25, and is hosted on Facebook and Instagram. Voting will begin Oct. 26. 

In order to enter the contest, students must take a picture of their carved pumpkin, upload the image to Facebook or Instagram, and write a caption using the tags @mvstugo and #mvpumpkin2020.  There will be a first, second, and third place winner, as well as a staff winner. Winners will receive Amazon gift cards.  

“The purpose of this virtual event is to give students an opportunity to participate in a fun fall event, since we cannot get together in person right now,” Student Government Advisor Elizabeth Molla said. 

Other Halloween-themed activities are also being hosted by Student Government. In addition to a scavenger hunt, a Metea costume contest will also be hosted this month. Students and staff can submit a photo of themselves in a school-appropriate costume. This contest will work the same way as the pumpkin carving contest. 

Student Government is continuing to come up with events and activities for the rest of the school year, with the goal of keeping students engaged and connected to the school as much as possible during the pandemic. 

“[The activities] are a way for the committees to discuss events and figure out how to still bring students together virtually during this remote time,” Student Government Advisor Sara Dee said.