News Beats

News Department

Updates on IPSD school board, e-learning, TCD virtual open house and clubs.

IPSD School board (Jessica Velazquez):

According to the DuPage County Health Department, the COVID-19 transmission levels have recently increased. With the holiday season, there is a growing concern among public health officials of a higher number of positive cases. The school board officials’ decision to pause the hybrid plan allows students to learn from home until Jan.15. This allows for the recommended 14-day quarantine after winter break. 

Yearbook reminders (Megan):

Yearbook is looking for students’ responses to surveys and questionnaires for the 2020-2021 edition. They are also looking for school-appropriate picture submissions to build the yearbook. Some of these forms relate to Zoom life, an overview of 2020-21, video games, AP classes, and more. All submissions are due on Dec. 11. Students can access the forms and more submission details here

Student involvement (Sydney Burleyson):

Teachers are aware of how online learning has negatively impacted students’ mental well being. In October, Metea counselors and social workers decided to open virtual calming rooms. These virtual rooms are still available for student use.

Music (Iman Hamid): 

The annual Collage concert was canceled this year due to COVID-19 restrictions. Instead, the music department planned a mini Zoom concert. The music department continued the “Santa hat tradition” for the seniors to replace the in-person concert.