New tardy policy leads to 59% increase in first period tardies

First period tardies have skyrocketed with a 59% increase compared to the week of October 30, the week before Metea Valley administrators implemented first period tardy sweeps. Administrators implemented the new policy in order to decrease the number of students who were late to first period.

Teachers documented 414 first period tardies the week prior to the new policy. Despite the new procedure, in which teachers close and lock their doors when the first period bell rings, there were 660 first period tardies four weeks later.

Junior Judah Cloud believes that the new policy is excessive. 

“I think that when the teachers have the ability to send kids to the office to get a pass if they are consistently late it forces them to be more on time,” he said. “In my case just now, the bell rang at 7:24 and I got sent to the office right away, which I feel like is slightly extra.”

While there was a 2% decrease in tardies in the first week of the policy sweep, the following week of Nov. 6 saw an increase from 401 to 626 tardies. 

Students with a typically good attendance rate like Cloud are feeling the repercussions.

“In my case, it’s not a problem if I’m late once in a while for my record of attendance. But for some kids, it’s probably really annoying. For example, if there is an actual good reason these students don’t get a chance to have an exception.”

First period tardies in the past week have shown a slight decrease in terms of data. As the statistics documented noted 660 first period tardies during the week of Dec. 4; this past week of Dec. 11 recorded 584 first period tardies between Monday and Friday.

Senior Jack Dowal also has contrasting views on the new tardy policy. 

“This new tardy policy is not beneficial to students specifically as people are late all the time, especially in the morning,” said Dowal. “It just happened to me right now.”

For students who may experience occasional tardiness due to external issues such as a broken-down car, traffic, or weather conditions, students like Dowal and Cloud are forced to report to their house office in order to get into their first-period class. 

Isabelle Leofanti
Isabelle Leofanti is a junior and is in her second year on The Stampede as the headlines editor. She is on both the varsity soccer team and varsity swim team here at Metea Valley. In her limited free time, she enjoys hanging out with her friends and family, traveling, shopping, and reading. She is also actively involved in Captains Council, Filling Hearts With Hope, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Rho Kappa Social Studies Honors Society, and National English Honors Society.
Bella Sieben
Bella Sieben is a junior and this is her first year writing for The Stampede as a headlines reporter. She is in both varsity track and field and on the cross-country team at Metea Valley. In her free time, she enjoys spending time with her family and friends, and volunteering at church. She is also actively involved in Captain's Council, Life Leaders, Filling Hearts With Hope, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Unicef, and Peer Partners. 
Luisa Bernardino
Luisa is a sophomore and it is her first year on staff as the Diversity Editor and a graphic designer. She loves to read, draw, sketch, and listen to music. Whenever she isn’t feeling avidly burnt out due to studying or listening to music way more than people should, you can find her in the library or Roleplaying.

• A

AzaaDec 20, 2023 at 12:27 pm

that’s kinda crazy