Electives fair allows students to explore more than 130 courses

Representatives from each elective offered at Metea gathered in the LMC to provide information to current freshmen, sophomores, and juniors on classes offered last Thursday. Throughout the event, students had the opportunity to ask questions, receive information, and see the great variety of electives Metea has to offer.

With the great range of elective classes offered, this event helps promote each class during the course selection process at Metea. Senior Jordyn Rotolo explains the benefits of hosting this fair.

“When I was a sophomore, I didn’t know about any of the classes offered,” says Rotolo. “However, from this event, I realized how much better it is to learn from the students who’ve experienced the classes before me.”

Senior Alexandra Magill agrees that the fair produces numerous additional benefits. As a representative of the early childhood teaching lab, known as the preschool, she expresses the significance of the event for the class itself.

“Getting the word out there about the preschool is so beneficial, as we don’t have as many people in it,” Magill says. “If we had more people who knew about it, I think they would want to take this class because it’s super fun.”

Magill also considers the future of the students at Metea.

“The elective fair helps students figure out what they want to do earlier on when they’re thinking about college,” expressed Magill. “It’s a good way to figure out what you’re interested in and what you like and don’t like.”

Rotolo, a representative of Virtual Enterprises International (VEI), has to interest students through different tactics. She utilized her outgoing personality to do so.

“I go up to students and ask, are you interested in business?” explains Rotolo. “I then proceed to have students watch the video that’s played on our screen because it’s a great compilation of all the firms in our class showing what we do daily, whether it’s busy work or when we’re having fun.”

While both Rotolo and Magill share a passion for increasing the number of students taking their designated elective, Rotolo describes how to interest students through convincing conversations.

“So the way that we’ve been getting attention for our elective is by asking students questions about what they’re interested in and telling them more about our class, its perks, the fun parts, and just everything they might want to know,” says Rotolo.

More information about course selection for the 2024–2025 school year can be found in the Course Selection Handout.