Get your Tickets!

Students work hard so that they can enjoy Prom

Luisa Bernardino
To make the Prom a special and memorable night, seniors go to extraordinary lengths to prepare.

As the date for the 2024 Prom nears, students strive to complete a checklist of things they have to do. Since the prom date is not on a school day, students have an easier time with their same-day preparations.

Senior Ramya Kukkapalli makes a list of all the preparations she needs before Prom.

“I made a checklist so I could keep track of what I finished,” Kukkapalli said. “I had to get a dress, pick my jewelry, find a pair of shoes, choose a makeup style, and figure out what I’m doing with my nails. Then, I had to pick a group to go with, find a place for us to take pictures, and buy my tickets.”

Health teacher and junior student council sponsor, Mrs. Lauren Reineking, explains the checklist that the junior and senior student councils had to complete while planning.

“Typically, after winter break, the student government for juniors and seniors combine to start planning the event,” Mrs. Reineking said. “We start with the theme, then we go into colors, what we want it to look like, decor, and menus. This year, since it’s at the Matrix and most of the students have not been there before, we had to talk about how to decorate the specific location without seeing the space.”

Mrs. Reineking also talks about some challenges that the student governments face.

“It’s hard to get an event that everybody will love,” Mrs. Reineking said. “Since not many people come to student government, we have a small amount of people making the decisions for the whole prom.”

Despite those issues, seniors and juniors continue to look forward to prom. Kukkapalli outlines what she hopes to find during the event.

“I want to be able to make lasting memories with my friends before we all leave for college,” Kukkapalli said. “That’s why I chose to go with a group of my friends.”