Seniors prepare for college life and adult responsibilities

[quote]By Zainie Qureshi
Managing Editor
Graphic by Ana Biccoli[/quote]

A big portion of seniors are preparing to transition into college within the next couple of months. Most of us have been fantasizing about the time we get to experience that too: the new found freedom, the beginning of the pursuit of your career, getting to set your own bedtime. It’s all pretty exciting. While it’s definitely something to be excited about, there’s going to be lots of change, and seniors are already beginning to feel the suddenness of it all.

“Not to say that I’m not prepared, but I do feel that it will be a bit of a culture shock,” senior Ahmari Keller said. “I don’t think that high school prepares us enough to go into college considering that we still have to ask to go to the bathroom and get dress coded for wearing crop tops, yet we are expected to take on a load of responsibility the year after. The freedom is going to be bittersweet. I’m definitely going to enjoy being able to make all of my own decisions and mistakes learning from them, but I’m also gonna miss the comfort of home and having my mom’s food.”

While it’s definitely going to be a difficult environment for some at first, it’s going to be the place where most of us begin to learn who we are as people. “While I know it’ll take me some time to adjust, I know and expect that it’ll make me a better person in the end,” senior Shreya Addanki said.

For the most part, we’re all counting the months until we’re in charge of what we do and when we do it. Some are beginning to think that this sudden sense of freedom being handed to them is going to be a little nerve wracking.

“I’m actually a little scared to be handed all this freedom at once because it’s all I’ve ever wanted and been waiting for, and now that it’s coming so suddenly I have to try and take it one step at a time,” senior Taina Rodriguez said.

Hopping over to the other end of the spectrum, there are also some who believe that they’re fairly well-prepared. “I think that in terms of the work ethic and adult responsibilities, I think I’m definitely prepared,” senior Ryan Goluch said. “At school I think I’ve developed a strong work ethic, and I’m fairly organized. Admittedly, I’ll still probably need to get a little more organized for college. Having an earlier birthday in the school year, and turning 18 back in October, I’ve already sort of adjusted to the adult responsibilities. There’s definitely be some things I’ll still have to adjust to, such as doing my laundry, but outside that, I think I’m pretty set.”

Not only is there the question of newfound freedom and suddenly having all these adult responsibilities thrown at you, there’s also the question of your new social life. You’re going to be juggling classes and all the work that come with it, some extracurriculars, and potentially even a job. How’s one supposed to fit in the memories you’re never going to forget? Not to forget the infamous party scene; where does that fit in? How’s that going to affect your academic success?

“The party scene is just what you make it. Either it’s easily avoidable or it can be instantly reached. Whatever you choose to engage in, it will end up affecting your grades. I don’t think partying is bad as long as it’s done responsibly and there’s a balance between [your] social life and education that’s healthy on both ends.” Keller said.

“Partying can be fun, but it can also get out of hand. I know a lot of people that have become alcoholics their freshman year, and it kinda goes back to the whole freedom thing. Freedom is a double edged sword, if you aren’t personally motivated you won’t be able to get anything done,” senior Cole Zrinsky said.

While things seem a little scary right now for seniors, it’s important to see that while mistakes will be made, it’s going to turn out alright. After all, that’s part of what college is for. “District 204 is an amazing place. They’ve done a good job about teaching me good habits, and I think [they’ve] really prepared me for whatever college has in store,” Zrinsky said.