‘Science facts, not alternative facts:’ Students rally in the March for Science

Zainie Qureshi

Demonstrators including students gathered on Earth Day for the “March for Science” to support ‘science facts, [and] not alternative facts,’ in the words of some of the posters at the march. Sparked by those who oppose President Trump’s claims to increase budget cuts against scientific research, demonstrators assembled for yet another march this year.

“I felt compelled [to go] by the ongoing political change that were being made in our country regarding environmental issues. I wanted to stand with individuals who felt that we, as a society, need to make a serious change in order to ensure a safe, efficient future,” senior Meghana Chaganti said.

Students were also encouraged by some of their science classes to go. “[It] was part of my AP Environmental Science final project, but I also wanted to be a part of something bigger than myself,” senior Grant Wilson said.

Recently, marches have played a big part in society and how people demonstrate their frustrations. “Going to marches have been my personal way of dealing with changes in government. By protesting the choices made by the president with selfish intentions I am able to feel some hope. The constitution reminds us that the power is in the people; until the president realizes the position he’s in, I will protest. I don’t want my future children dealing with the mess we made,” senior Christine Miller said.

The marches taking place have empowered more than just outside community members, as it has also empowered students at Metea. “I used to be silent about issues until I realized to create change, you must be it. I believe communities are strengthened through the unity that a protest can provide,” Miller added.