Filed under Features

IPhone 8 and X: is the upgrade truly worth it?

Photo by: Ethan Meyers

On September 22, 2017, Apple introduced it’s latest phone model to the masses known as the IPhone 8. This new version of the popular cell phone brand introduced a multitude of new features. Some of which include hardware that is made from durable glass, resistance to water and dust, wireless charging, an A11 Bionic Technology that boasts a high speed and efficiency.

On November 3, 2017, an astonishing six weeks after the IPhone 8’s release, Apple will release another updated version of their famous phone brand known as the IPhone X. It will be made to coincide with the tenth anniversary of the original IPhone’s release. Although this model uses many of the same features established by the IPhone 8, the X will include facial recognition, which can be used to unlock your phone and pay, a wider screen that goes to 5.8 inches, and a design made to be more curvy than any other IPhone. It will cost about $999 dollars, making it the most expensive IPhone model to date.

Despite Apple’s claims of technological advancement, the new IPhones have received a mixed response from the general public, including the younger demographic. Many are hesitant to upgrade their phones, some citing a lack of financial support and a minimal amount of serious changes that warrant another buy. Apple tends to make a big deal about the technological side of their phones that it becomes easy for people to fall under the hype, but many find disappointment in what little they offer aside from a few gimmicky items.

“They create this big thing and make it seem like there’s so many improvements, but when you get the phone it’s like the same thing,” junior Jeallan Teneero said.

Some have also questioned the release of the IPhone X being so close to the IPhone 8. There is the excuse that the X was released as part of the IPhone’s tenth anniversary, though considering both phones contain the same key features except one has a few more fancy gimmicks, it seems like they’re putting a larger price tag on a phone that is fundamentally the same. Others have pointed out how having two new IPhone models, while boosting sales, could potentially lead to an indecisive crowd, unable to decide on which phone will suit their needs. There’s a potential paradox at play. Either people latch onto the new and the old sales plummet, or the old is seen as the less expensive option, leaving the new sales to fall.

“I’m not sure if it’s a good business move because they’re just so close together that people will get indecisive and not get either,” sophomore Paulina Bogdan said.

At the same time, some have shown a more optimistic view on both of the new IPhone models. Many have pointed out that the changes that are there seem to be impressive and add an extra layer to the phone that most other models wouldn’t. Some also pointed out that the upgrades are just Apple’s attempts at making the phone more convenient and overall better. There is no pressure from anybody to have the phone based on those features and people have the choice to stick with what they have or take the upgrade.

“They’re not really making any improvement that people need to have in their lives. They’re just upgrading it,” junior Nandini Kohli said.

Still, despite some optimism from our youth, the amount of people who are not willing to upgrade their phones to the latest model shows a great lack of faith in the Apple brand. People are starting to notice the changes made are not substantial or important enough to warrant a buy from customers. However Apple tries to spice things up and hype up their brand to next level territory, the public is catching on to their marketing, and the company as we know it could be facing a decline.

10 Responses to “IPhone 8 and X: is the upgrade truly worth it?”

1. Not worth it! on October 4th, 2017 9:06 am

1000$ for a phone… Yea not worth it. A Computer costs less an Xbox, Play Station, or Switch costs less…Yea not worth it.

2. Brad Leber on October 4th, 2017 10:56 am

APPLE IS AMAZING…I LOVE APPLE…SAMSUNG SUCKS…BUY THE IPHONE X…#LIT

... Reply:

Apple Sucks! Samsung 4 Life!

3. WOKE on October 4th, 2017 12:33 pm

When you buy this product you are giving money to Steve Job’s moon base. HE is trying to make a big magnetic so he can attract Nibiru to crash into the Earth. Consider this a public service announcement.

Sean Lu Reply:

I know right, how terrible.

4. illu on October 4th, 2017 7:05 pm

” …it seems like they’re putting a larger price tag on a phone that is fundamentally the same” uh, hasn’t that ALWAYS been the case?

5. mandem on October 5th, 2017 8:33 am

In my opinion, the iPhone X is well worth it, it’s up there with all the current flagships such as the essential phone, Samsung Galaxy S8+, Google Pixel 2 XL, and Samsung Galaxy Note 8. Although the price tag is steep its packing a lot of features such as the nearly bezeless display & 3D scan features…Although it’s missing a couple things like a AMOLED screen and a bigger form factor, it’s worth it if you willing of drop 1000$

But also you can get a lot more than 1 iphone for 100$

6. red on October 5th, 2017 1:50 pm

iphone x is $999
    the entire cracker barrel menu is $879
    choose wisely

7. Contributor on October 5th, 2017 8:11 pm

I mean tbh iPhone X is so not worth it….samsung sucks and we all know that but even their smartphones are cheaper (oh wait it explodes)
    some people still have their iPhone 4s so I think an iPhone 7 or 8 is enough.
    use that money for something else like in my case food

8. Barb on October 6th, 2017 7:42 am

I think that this can either way. I like Iphones but they are ridiculously expensive. I mean I don’t have that type of money but if I did I probably wouldn’t spend it on that. I think that it will be a waste of money because there is so much more you can do with that money than buy that phone; and then in 6-8 months the new phone is going to come out.

• IPhone 8 and X: is the upgrade truly worth it?

Features

10.13.17 Mane

Features

Eight Chicago Blackhawks games every fan should watch

Features

Gold out brings awareness for pediatric cancer among mustangs

Features

Students question the importance of pep assemblies

Features

The problems homecoming can cause

Features

Aurora Street Art Shines a light on Suicide Prevention Month

Features

New lunch policies introduced to improve the commons

Features

Snapchat Maps: Creepy or Convenient?

Features

A new approach to defining education

Features

Nate’s take: The most important college football game of every week