Filed under Opinions

Spinners: The toy that divides a generation

Ethan Meyers

Ethan Meyers

This fad has gone too far. The craze over these “fidget spinners” has divided middle school and high school age people. Some adore the things while others disapprove of them.

There’s no need to give an explanation as to what a spinner is, we have all seen them around our school. There’s all kinds of spinners, ones that light up, ones that spin, and craziest of all, ones that spin!

There’s nothing wrong with enjoying a toy; even some adults like collecting action figures. As long as no one is being hurt, I don’t see an issue. That being said, I do see an issue when some manufacturers have touted these spinners as being therapeutic, even claiming they can be used to relieve symptoms of attention disorders, autism, and anxiety.

As it stands, there isn’t any scientific research that states these toys can help alleviate any symptoms of the ADHD, anxiety, etc. If someone finds me a research paper or documented evidence that disproves this statement, please leave a comment pointing me in the right direction.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as of 2011 as many as 6.4 million children between the ages of four and 17 had been diagnosed with ADHD. Misleading consumers into thinking that a simple toy can help with real medical diagnoses is not only morally questionable but is false advertising as well.

Am I bashing something that has already gotten enough attention over the last several weeks? Yes. If you love your spinner please keep on enjoying the thing as it is meant to be enjoyed: as a toy. If you hate the things for existing, then please continue to do God’s work.

I feel that I must add something onto the end here as to not upset the Metea Media crowd. While I have expressed evidence to support this “opinions” article, sarcasm and exaggeration have played a big role in this story, please keep that in mind.

18 Responses to “Spinners: The toy that divides a generation”

1. WHY on May 25th, 2017 7:51 am

You know there was a bombing in Britain but instead we should bee concerned about a TOY why, just why?

WHY Reply:

Whops ill just say it myself “Nice Spelling”

Chronopopo Reply:

This article was published before that attack took place, but yes, it is a dumb topic. Anyway, it’s what’s it’s.

2. Kennedy Homan on May 25th, 2017 8:23 am

I agree with this article, even if it may be satire which is very prominently present, I believe this toy went from “helping” ADHD, to just being the new fad of looking cool in front of friends. I can’t go a class period without hearing the spinner being dropped or thrown across the room from a failure trick. I have seen some cool tricks while using the science of physics, but it’s truly a visual distraction of a toy at the best. I believe a fidget cube is still the toy that does help ADHD, or at the least, can help calm those with anxiety and attention issues. Someone could be pressing the buttons in their pocket while listening to a teacher speak rather than have it out on their desk looking at it. All I know is that my little brother’s elementary school banned spinners as kids are getting too distracted with these, and all I can think about when I see high school students getting distracted with the spinners are on the same maturity level as the elementary school students.

Brothers, Am I Right? Reply:

I agree, Kenn. (Yes, I can call you that because I know you. HINT HINT BIRDS HINT HINT) My brother asked me to order one for him on Amazon, and I just said “Sure, why not.” Now he won’t put the thing down. Instead of seeing him on the couch on his phone or in the library room on his laptop, yelling at his teammates online, he’s mesmerized by the thing. I honestly don’t see what everybody finds so attractive. They spin. So what? It’s not a new concept. I’ve seen several memes about this, like “1977: ‘At least we’re fighting for a better future.’ 2017: ‘Bendy Finds A Fidget Spinner.'” The stupid thing came in the mail 2 days ago, and I’ve heard nothing around the house but the parakeets and my brother flicking the spinner. He’s made some of his own tricks too, like putting it on his nose and balancing. He has such a gift for video game design, (which I believe he got from his sister c;) and he’s wasting his time on something that’ll probably be gone mid-summer.

Fidget LOrd Reply:

How dare you! My little brother has autism, and enjoys playing with his spinner more than anything. Me, along with my family, have not noticed any changes in his behavior at school, at home or anywhere for that matter. IF anything, he has been more relaxed and tranquil, by what we have observed!

3. UR WRONG on May 25th, 2017 8:25 am

“As it stands, there isn’t any scientific research that states these toys can help alleviate any symptoms of the ADHD, anxiety, etc.”
    Well i have a friend with ADHD and he says it helps him not EVERYTHING on this earth has to come from science.

Kennedy Homan Reply:

Logical Fallacy- Authoritative

4. Adam on May 25th, 2017 11:00 am

Even if you hate the fidget spinner craze, you can take solace in the fact that it’s just a fad, and by next school year nobody will be using them anymore.

5. Connie Bronson on May 25th, 2017 11:45 am

Dear Peter Hind,

When you state that the spinners falsely advertise that they can relieve symptoms of attention disorders, autism, and anxiety I am afraid perhaps you do not have all the facts. The word stimming is short for self-stimulatory behavior. Stimming is a common attribute to attention deficits, those with learning disabilities, autism, aspergers, and anxiety. In all of these cases the stimming is a natural behavior that is used to cope with daily life whether it be something like paying attention or simply dealing with a chaotic environment-which can be very stressful for those on the spectrum or with anxiety. Stimming is used almost constantly and is even listed as a symptom of autism and aspergers under repetitive behaviors. Now this stimming finds an outlet any way it can but the fidget cubes and spinners help provide a very specific outlet for this stimming. Specifically, using these items meant to help those who need to stim actually helps them as it gives them a consistent sensory outlet to use when they need to stim. In other words, the fidget cubes and spinners help those for whom they were actually made for. For those who simply want a toy, it does nothing and in the long run only hurts those who actually need such things. If you don’t believe me, ask my older brother, a 21 year old who has severe ADHD and finds the fidget cubes insanely helpful when he needs to concentrate in lectures. Or you can consult the links I’ll include on stimming. Thank you for sharing your opinion, it was nice to hear other people’s views on spinners and other fidget stims so as to better understand the full issue facing us. I hope you’ll do me the same courtesy and take a brief look at my links or at least contact my brother and I to help understand our perspective on this topic.

Sincerely,
    Connie Bronson
    https://www.verywell.com/what-is-stimming-in-autism-260034
    https://neurodevelopmentcenter.com/stimming-demystified/
    https://www.ambitiousaboutautism.org.uk/understanding-autism/behaviour/repetitive-behaviours-and-stimming

Jimmy Smith Reply:

Dear Connie, I respectfully decline the proposed hypothesis that you have conjured up. Fidget spinners are a toy, and nothing but. The same to be mentioned in reference to fidget cubes. The spread of this epidemic that is fidget spinners is evident through the new “norm” that it has created. The overuse of these devices has created a mockery of our teen society. Overall, companies are using this as a ploy and preying upon the unfortunate homo sapiens that have been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. More than a “helping hand”, it has become a distraction for teachers and students alike. This has more been created into a hurting hand that is dragging our society down. Well in other countries, technological advances shape everyday life, we are creating new trends (what seems like weekly) that make our coming generation of adults-that will shape our world-look like imbeciles. This is a completely disappointing trend, and as I write this, it persists to spread. Much to my disdain, it will not end soon. Sincerely, doG.

doG is dope.

6. Abbey Nemcher on May 25th, 2017 12:00 pm

The point of objects like fidget spinners and cubes and all that is to relieve symptoms, and it isn’t like some form of cold relief. The point of these things are if you suffer with short attention spans or anxiety having something else to focus your energy on actually does prove effective. Before spreading negativity on something you haven’t researched as much as you probably should have I recommend thinking a bit more on it.

7. uh on May 25th, 2017 1:53 pm

spinners r cool and I enjoy them. this article is false

Name Reply:

Agreeded

8. Seriously? on May 25th, 2017 2:18 pm

OH NO, you did NOT just write an article about this.

9. US is ded on May 26th, 2017 7:27 am

Our country is in deep trouble if were mainly worried about a dumb fad.

10. Skanda Rani on May 30th, 2017 1:14 pm

I love them as much as my mommy

11. [email protected] [email protected] on September 25th, 2017 1:10 pm

It’s just a toy

• Spinners: The toy that divides a generation

Opinions

Columbus Day: time for change

Opinions

SAT’s: An academic hindrance to the developing youth

Opinions

Letter to the Editor: Chromebooks are meant to enhance the classroom

Opinions

The happy medium in the ‘should college athletes get paid’ debate

Opinions

Trump Administration’s DACA decision is the most immoral decision it’s made

Opinions

Students receive Chromebooks that already display major issues

May 26 Mane

Opinions

Letter to the Editor: Why the story of AIDA matters, and always will

Opinions

Macron’s presidential victory will shape the future of the west

Opinions

Struggles of the Student Athlete