Filed under Opinions

Students receive Chromebooks that already display major issues

Photo by: Delaney Reed

Chromebooks do not have a long history at Metea Valley high school. This is the first year all students were allowed chromebooks to help better their education. Students were given these computers to help save time in classes where they are needed as opposed to laptop carts that take time for students to bring out and log on to. They also help with avoiding the hassle to reserve labs. Chromebooks do serve a healthy purpose to Metea Life, but there are some conflicts when it comes to using these devices.

In a class last year, I had the opportunity to do a test run with the Chromebooks and they worked just fine…at first.

When I was in a class where not all students had a computer, I would feel cool taking out my Chromebook while everyone else had to go grab laptop at the cart. They were also very useful at home when I didn’t feel like going out of my room to get on my family’s computer. Later in the year, however, I experienced technical difficulties with multiple Chromebooks. The first one powered off by itself one day and never turned back on. The next had broken keys so I wasn’t able to type anything correctly. And the last was just unbelievably slow.

This year, my Chromebook is fine. At least when the wifi at school works. How are we expected to get out our Chromebooks at any given moment in class when the wifi in school lags or has issues?

Even though my Chromebook works okay, I have talked to countless classmates with problems with their computers. Some people can’t log into their computers or they have to keep restarting their computer to get it to work. I have had to use a Chromebook in almost every class so far this year and in each class, there was at least one student with an issue.

Charging them will probably be a problem this year, as it was last year. Kids would forget to charge their Chromebooks at night, so they would have to charge them in class. My teachers last year were alright with some people charging in the front of the classroom but almost all my teachers this year said that they wouldn’t let us charge them in class if we forgot. From what I experienced last year, that is a lot to expect from a few high school students.

Now, I am not saying that Chromebooks are all bad, because they aren’t. Chromebooks could be a great thing here in school, but I don’t think we should at all be solely dependant on these devices. They are a nightmare to deal with when they don’t work and technology isn’t always reliable for education. If we reduce the use of Chromebooks, there will be more time for learning and less time wasted on getting these computers to work

4 Responses to “Students receive Chromebooks that already display major issues”

1. R2-D2 on September 11th, 2017 1:02 pm

Agree I do. Slower than my old flip phone. The wifi is never working and it takes the entire class period for it to load a website. Either non-chromebook or a tablet with a keyboard because its not an improvement so far compared to paper.

Grand Master Yoduhhh Reply:

Agree I do not, tax dollars were used best for these you think? laugh I will.

2. red on September 12th, 2017 1:48 pm

tbh they really need to work on school wifi. it takes like 5 minutes for google docs to load and even more for many sites
    the computers themselves work fine though

3. Anonymous on September 14th, 2017 5:16 pm

Did anyone else have a problem where it said the monitor wast supported and your screen turned black for 5 secs?

• Students receive Chromebooks that already display major issues

Opinions

Letter to the Editor: Chromebooks are meant to enhance the classroom

Opinions

The happy medium in the ‘should college athletes get paid’ debate

Opinions

Trump Administration’s DACA decision is the most immoral decision it’s made

May 26 Mane

Opinions

Spinners: The toy that divides a generation

Opinions

Letter to the Editor: Why the story of AIDA matters, and always will

Opinions

Macron’s presidential victory will shape the future of the west

Opinions

Struggles of the Student Athlete

Opinions

April Mane

Opinions

United Airlines causes turbulence with violent incident