Girl Talk: Midterm Elections bring diversity to Washington D.C.

The midterms have come and gone, but unlike most recent midterm elections, the newly elected candidates are exciting the public because of their diversity and their gender. This past election broke many records, including the record for the number of female candidates for governor, U.S. House, and U.S. Senate.

According to an article published by TIME Magazine, “The U.S. House of Representatives elected a record number of women, with at least 90 women expected to make their way to Washington, D.C. in January.” With elected Congress Women and representatives coming from all different geographical, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds, many Americans are satisfied with the diversity that has begun to slowly trickle into U.S. politics.

For young voters, the diversity is extremely encouraging. “It makes me proud to know my vote is shaping our growing diversity in our country,” senior Jayci Jeffirs said.

Democrats Ilhan Omar, from Minnesota, and Rashida Tlaib, from Michigan, became the first Muslim women to be elected to Congress. In 2016, Omar also broke another record as she became the first Somali American legislator elected to office in the United States.

Additionally, Democrat Deb Haalad from New Mexico and Democrat Sharice Davids from Kansas became the first Native American women to ever be elected to Congress. Davids is also the first openly gay person to represent Kansas in Congress.

States like Tennessee and South Dakota saw their first female representatives. Republican Tennessee Senator Marsha Blackburn made history in the state when she became the first female senator. In South Dakota, citizens elected their first female governor, Republican Kristi Noem beat out Democrat Billie Sutton to win the seat of Governor.

At the age of 29, Democrat Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez became the youngest woman ever elected to Congress. Ocasio-Cortez represents New York’s 14th Congressional District and beat out Republican Anthony Pappas for the Congressional position, and the list continues on.

The amount of women who represent a wide variety of ages, races, and cultures is important in maintaining our modern democracy. As the election season continues, one can only hope that we will continue to see diversity women in our new candidates.

About the Writer
Abbey Malbon, Spotlight Reporter

Abbey Malbon is in 11th grade and is a spotlight writer. She is involved with Literary Magazine, Best Buddies and Fresh Connect. She spends her free time...

5 Responses to “Girl Talk: Midterm Elections bring diversity to Washington D.C.”

1. arjav on November 15th, 2018 9:31 am

alexandria cortez dosen’t know what she’s doing. super unqualified.

2. Proud Sister on November 15th, 2018 10:31 am

Yes sister PRAISE! We LOVE diversity we stan sis we stan. Love you Abbey and keep up the good work :3

3. repertoire on November 15th, 2018 12:57 pm

While it is interesting that we have seen a change in leadership that better reflects the people they stand for, we cannot get carried away. It is incredibly irresponsible to base something as serious as a vote on something as divisive as race or gender. It shouldn’t be that we’re electing them because of their gender or heritage, we need to elect them because they’re good Americans, and good Americans first and foremost.

4. VOA on November 20th, 2018 1:21 pm

I think repertoir is right. I definitely think today’s society is more worried about what their candidate IS instead of how they are if that makes any sense. Some people would be so much so that if a nonqualified minority/female candidate and a White more qualified candidate ran against each other the less qualified one would get their vote. We should just focus on their political background, not their racial or religious background.

5. obama on December 9th, 2018 3:35 pm

I agree with bringing diversity but alexandria cortez doesn’t know what she is doing

• Girl Talk: Midterm Elections bring diversity to Washington D.C.

Girl Talk with Abbey Malbon

Girl Talk: House of Representatives passes controversial sex trafficking laws

Girl Talk with Abbey Malbon

Girl Talk: Mississippi passes the most restrictive abortion act in the nation

Girl Talk with Abbey Malbon

Girl Talk: Defining the modern feminist

Girl Talk with Abbey Malbon

Recent Women’s Marches emphasize “power to the polls”

Girl Talk with Abbey Malbon

Girl Talk: Teen Vogue Summit

Girl Talk with Abbey Malbon

The “Pink Tax” is real and it is affecting women nationwide

Girl Talk with Abbey Malbon

Birth control is basic healthcare. Period.

Staff Playlist

Stampede Staff Playlist: December Edition

The Mane

Conspiracy Brothers — Episode 3: Mattress Firm Part 2

The Mane

12.14.18 MANE Episode 6