Spoiler Review

Madison McCalley, Photographer

When it comes to films, I am very picky about genres like romcoms. “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before” is by far one of my favorite rom coms of all that I have seen. I never would have thought that I would enjoy watching two high-school students start a fake relationship to make another student jealous. Although, the idea of a love letter written with no intention of being sent can bring that person into your life and change it in a way you didn’t expect. 

I was skeptical about a sequel to “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before.” I will say that “P.S. I Still Love You” was good but could have been better. I thought that the way it follows the first movie was fair. Lara Jean and Peter Kavinsky’s relationship that started as fake turned into a sincere one.  Lara Jean and Peter’s love for each other is evident throughout the movie but it was not as exaggerated as I expected. Although, I love how Lara Jean, quirky and often serious and Peter, charming and romantic, found true love, unintentionally. 

The plot twist that the directors threw in with John Ambrose is an interesting addition to the story. It was really eye-opening to see one of the people that Lara Jean wrote a love letter to come back into her life unexpectedly. I was so eager to know if Lara Jean would be faced with a difficult decision and it turns out she was.  

I wish the movie was longer and less rushed. As I was watching, it felt like everything was happening so fast. I was able to enjoy all of the Lara Jean and Peter moments despite the haste. I wanted to see more of Peter and Lara Jean as opposed to John Ambrose and Lara Jean. Although, it was adorable to watch them volunteer together at the retirement home. 

Lara Jean’s indecisiveness makes it hard to follow along at times. After John Ambrose came back into her life, she began to have second thoughts about her love for Peter, probably because she was in shock after seeing John. In the end, she makes the decision that is right for her. I was shocked when Lara Jean kissed John at the Star Ball because Lara Jean made it seem as if she was falling in love with John again. I was glad that she realized at that moment that she was kissing the wrong person. The moment she says that it is Peter that she loves, my heart fluttered. 

I will be honest, I began to get bothered with Gen’s presence in the movie. Gen plays an important role in the story because she was once good friends with Lara Jean and she dated Peter but I was disturbed by her ubiquity because she continuously intruded on Lara Jean and Peter’s relationship. In my opinion, Gen is the only barrier between Peter and Lara Jean. She is also the reason that Lara Jean wanted to break up with Peter. After Lara Jean broke up with Peter, I felt my heart sink. The breakup felt very abrupt. I had hoped that Gen wouldn’t get in the way at that time. 

I was glad that the movie did have character development. I am most happy that Lara Jean realizes that she is meant to be with Peter so she chooses him over John. Gen and Lara Jean talk things out towards the end of the film and they both realize that they are glad to have met each other when they were young despite their hatred towards each other in their recent years. Gen explains that she has been going to Peter to talk to him because she was trying to cope with her parents splitting up and Peter has gone through the same situation. I was really happy to see Lara Jean and Gen clear the air because it was much needed. Not only did this better Gen and Lara Jean’s relationship but it also leads Lara Jean to realize that she was wrong to leave Peter. 

Overall, I enjoyed watching Lara Jean and Peter’s relationship in a more serious manner. I also liked the plot twist with John Ambrose. Although, I did not enjoy some parts of the movie, such as the breakup between Lara Jean and Peter I knew that they would find a reason to be together again. Lara Jean and Peter are so much more than the words written in the love letter.