Health Department wins Blue Ribbon Award

The Metea Valley Health department received its first Blue Ribbon Award from the IAHPERD/ISHA Joint Blue Ribbon Committee for Health Education. The status of a Blue Ribbon Award recipient lasts from 2013 to 2018. The Health department was invited to two different award ceremonies. IAHPERD hosted the first one in Nov. 21 in St. Charles; the second is hosted by ISHA in April.

The Health Department was awarded for being “outstanding” and “dedicated” according to the IAHPERD/ISHA Joint Blue Ribbon Committee for Health Education.

“Behind the scenes, the [health] team has done a tremendous amount of work on curriculum, instruction and assessment to ensure that students have the skills necessary to make healthy choices throughout their lives,” PE Department Chair Augustyniak said.

“I think that we work hard to prepare relevant information… we try to make [health class] apply to students’ lives as much as possible. We are pretty passionate in staying on top of current trends and issues,” mused Health teacher Mrs. Hartke.

Even after being validated with a prestigious award, the Health team’s momentum won’t stop anytime soon. “The team will stay current with their professional development by attending and presenting at conferences. Last year the team presented twice at the IAHPERD Convention and this Spring they will present at the Dupage County Institute,” said Augustyniak.

The team also intends on keeping information presented to students current and relevant. “If something seems to be outdated, [we will] change it,” said Hartke.

Beyond the classroom, Health teachers make sure to maintain a positive attitude about not only about Health class, but about life. “Sparkle, glitter,” advised fellow Health teacher Mrs. Jordan.

By Jenna Keeney