Run Orchesis run, all the way to state

All for one, and one for all! For the second time in Metea Valley history an orchesis dance made it to state. After an exciting audition at Buffalo Grove High School on Feb. 21, the dance, “Run Boy Run”, choreographed by junior Rachel May, was selected to be performed.

The routine brings together dancers from each grade level in an abstract contemporary piece, which includes dancers: Lexi Thornton, Bri Heerhold, Danielle McCoy, Ella Duggan, Rachel May, Rebecca May, Ashley Montrose, Carly Casselman, Madelyn Wesoloski, Abby Schafer, Julia Meyer, Margaux Blazer, Emily Foster, and Alyssa Jira.

“I think it’s unique because it’s different from your typical contemporary dance. I also, think it’s really cool to have all of us orchesis girls come together in a piece and have it look so amazing, since we all train at different studios,” May said.

The orchesis girls have been working hard for the past couple months to prepare for their annual show, “Raising the Barre,” where May’s dance was also performed live.

“It’s an intense dance but still sharp and fun to perform,” junior Lexi Thornton said. “I’m excited for state since this is only the second time in our history that we have gone, out of the all-day auditions from around the state, only some dances go through,” Thornton added.

On Sat., May 9, “Run Boy Run” will be performed at the Illinois High School Dance Festival Showcase at Stevenson High School. Metea Valley Orchesis was one of the twelve troupes to be chosen for this particular competition.

“I am so excited to compete! At state we get the opportunity to take different master classes and meet people from other schools. It’s a really special dance and I love performing it with my team,” senior Bri Heerhold said.

By Ashley Walker