Metea cheer wins DVC Championship and heads off to sectionals

Photo courtesy via Lisa Braheny

The DVC cheer champions will have their sectional competition this Saturday at Peoria High School, with a chance to go to state.

Max Berglind, Sports Reporter

DuPage Valley Conference Champions. The varsity cheer team, which has qualified for state eight times, now has another shot to go all the way once again. Currently the only obstacle in their way is sectionals which occur in Peoria this Saturday. 

The team has got to this point through the chemistry between teammates. Their chemistry has catapulted them into great standing with the sectionals coming up.

“This team has been super great with their commitment level and it has really made a difference as well as the team bond,” head coach Lisa Braheny said. “The relationships that you have also make a huge difference too. So they have definitely contributed to the success of where they have gotten from where they started.”

The Mustangs’ stellar bond with each other now sets a standard for the younger members in the program. Eight of the 17 Mustangs on the team are either sophomores or freshmen. 

We have a very young team right now,” Braheny said. “We only have one four-year senior who’s been on cheer for years. The rest of the team will [compete in] their first sectional competition.”

A team’s current condition and future optimism are immense for the success of a program. Having experience mixed with younger teammates with potential can extend the program’s success after the senior captains graduate.

“This year more than any [other] I think has just been a rebuilding year for us with a lot of younger people. They have done great,” Braheny said. “Our competitions are usually Saturday or Sunday. So whatever day we do not compete, we are here practicing for two and a half hours every single day in the month of December and January as we get into our competition season.” 

The Mustangs will be competing at Peoria High School on Saturday, with the opportunity to travel to state for the ninth time.