Girls’ bowling qualify for state for the third time in school history

Photo Courtesy: Sydney Lewis

The girls’ placed third at sectionals with a score of 5388.

Grace Cronin, Sports Reporter

The girls’ bowling team qualified for the Illinois High School Association (IHSA) state at sectionals last Saturday. After waiting two years from COVID-19 to compete again in regionals, the team placed second guaranteeing them a spot in sectionals as well as having both seniors Jasmine Allen and Sydney Lewis place in the top four individually. They would continue strong into sectionals as they placed third overall with a promising shot at state.

“We knew exactly what we needed to do at sectionals in order to go to state, therefore we were able to walk in with confidence,” Lewis said. “Most importantly we knew we had to execute and trust everything that we’ve practiced all season.”

The girls came into regionals and sectionals as undefeated conference champions for the fourth year in a row. This season was a special one for the girls as last year’s COVID-19 restrictions caused IHSA to not provide a regional and state series to compete at. New Triers virtual state competition allowed the girls’ to show their talent, however, this year allowed for them to show what they were made of.

Regionals took place on Feb. 5, with 13 different teams competing for the top four spots. Within the Aurora/Naperville area teams from both Naperville North and Naperville Central competed in hopes to make it to sectionals. At the end of the day, the Mustangs earned 5565 points placing second overall with Downers Grove South being named the champions. Willowbrook and Addison Trail would take the last spots for sectionals.  

“We prepared for sectionals by practicing spares and fine-tuning the little things that needed to be worked on,” Lewis said.

Following regionals sectionals would see 12 different teams compete in hopes to place in the top four state qualifying spots. The girls had qualified for state two times prior in 2014 and 2020. This year the team consisted of Allen, Lewis, junior Shelly Hess, and seniors Elizabeth Mansmith, Michaela Graves, and Holly Dudlicek. Together they were able to finish with a score of 5388, placing third and earning them a spot in state. Lewis also placed second individually 1237.

“I think we did really well as a team,” Lewis said. “We worked together and helped each other up throughout the entire day. Everyone did their part, which allowed us to be as successful as we were. We are going to keep working on our spares and technique along with maintaining a strong mentality for state.” 

The team will compete at state this Friday and Saturday.