Humans of Metea: Roman Newhouse

Bari Baskin, Christina Guckel

Roman Newhouse is very active in the Metea community and wants students to know that it is never too late to follow their dreams.

Ollie Shuminas, Spotlight Reporter

Senior Roman Newhouse is involved in drama club, the musical, the play, Off The Record, Jazz ensemble, Jazz combo, and Apollo. Keep reading to learn more about his experiences here at Metea.

What is your favorite memory from your activities at Metea?

Every year at Collage. It is such an important time of the year for everyone and just seeing every music student get together. Having nine hundred students who are all passionate about the same thing come together to make music is special to me. So all three times now that I have gotten to participate in Collage has been really important to me.

What has inspired you to be the best version of yourself?

My teachers and my peers. We have such a hard-working group of people throughout Metea. I am super proud to say that I am a part of this community and by looking at others in the community that are super successful. All of my friends in theater and jazz do their best to succeed, and that inspires me to push myself.

What do you plan on pursuing in the future?

I plan on pursuing jazz piano studies or music education because I love sharing music with others and I think that music is a really important thing we need to invest in and teach more to the next generation.

How has being a student here at Metea set you up for success?

Everyone at Metea is so high achieving, and we have supportive staff here. I think that our school’s culture teaches everyone to believe that every student should be given an equal opportunity to succeed. They help students to push themselves to be the best they can be.

Is there anyone you would like to say a few words to?

The Metea music staff and all of the staff that has helped me. They have done so much to help me and push me to be the best me. I think that it took me a bit of time to come to my own and try to be the best version of myself. And of course my parents for always being supportive of me pressuring my dreams.

What is a message you can give to other high schoolers?

Never stray away from your dreams because of what other people think or say because their opinions do not matter as much as being true to yourself. At the end of the day, everyone should do what they love.

If you enjoyed reading about Roman Newhouse, please fill out this form to be one of the next Humans Of Metea!