Students are feeling positive about this year’s theater program

PJ Bender

A student reads a script provided by their theater instructor.

Tanay Pant, Spotlight Editor

The theater program kicked off its season with an orientation meeting last Thursday. The upcoming plays and performances were revealed as hundreds of potential tech workers, actors, and actresses gathered to learn about the year ahead of Metea Valley theater. Junior Kevin Paul, an International Thespian Society (IPS) officer, helps to lead these meetings.

“We lead drama club meetings, audition workshops, and other things for tech students,” Paul said. “A lot of talented people come together in order to make this happen.”

One of the primary inquiries about the new theater season is what the newest plays, musicals, and performances will be. While winter scenes and the spring musical are still under wraps, the fall plays have been announced.

“We are doing two fall plays this year,” Paul said. “The fairy tale Jack and the Magic Beans as well as Radium Girls, the latter being a more grim and serious play.”

One of the greatest changes in this year’s new theater program would have to be the removal of COVID-19 prevention procedures. The new year will feature mask-less actors and actresses and packed venues to watch them in. Matthew Wolski, the Head of the Theater Department, sees this as a good step forward.

“Our focus has always been to ensure that students have the creative theatrical outlet they have come to expect from Metea,” Wolski said. “Between our creative officers and our amazing sponsors, we were not only able to survive through being remote, COVID-19, and the other restrictions of last year, but we came back and thrived by putting on some of the best shows we have seen at Metea Valley.”

All these positive changes have left Paul reflecting on what he appreciates most about the theater department.

“We house some of the best high-school productions here,” Paul said. “If I had to say what I am most proud of regarding [theater], it would have to be everyone who worked so hard over the last two years. They persevered and managed to put together some incredible shows. It truly is an amazing sight.”

Visit www.meteatheater.org to see how to get involved in theater or how to purchase tickets to any of the upcoming shows.