Fall Sports Think Pink!

Kayla Clark

Lizzie O’Leary sells “Think Pink” t-shirts

Namashritha Koganti, Sports Reporter

With October being Breast Cancer Awareness Month, fall sports have come up with different ways to raise both money and awareness. The girls’ swim and dive team set up a relay race and other fun events to reach their goal of $2,000. Admission to the relay event was $10 and the relay teams had four to eight people. The relay featured a floatie relay, a t-shirt relay, a breaststroke (frog) relay, and a cup-flipping relay.

The relay race was not the only way to support the fundraiser. Donations are also accepted. To donate, you can either visit the Pushcoin Site, or you can visit their National Breast Cancer Foundation Page. So far, the team has raised $1,622 out of their $2,000 goal. 

The swim team sold both swim caps and t-shirts. The t-shirts were $15 and the swim caps were $7. Profits from all merchandise are donated to the NBCF. If you want to learn more about the swim team’s breast cancer fundraiser, visit their site.

Swimming and diving are not the only sports at Metea that are spreading their support for breast cancer this October. Metea’s football team will wear pink socks and other pink accessories during October in support.

The Warriors hockey team had a “pink out” themed game on Friday, Oct. 7 where fans wore pink to support the team and spread awareness. The Warriors hockey team won against the Spartans with a final score of 9-2.

The girls’ volleyball team also did a “pink out” on Oct. 13 and handed out pink rally towels to the fans before the game so everyone could rally together in support of breast cancer awareness month. They lost the game to Neuqua Valley 2-0. The team also sold “think pink” t-shirts this week for $10 each.

On Thursday, the boys’ soccer team also wore their pink t-shirts to show their support for breast cancer awareness month. The team lost their away game to West Aurora with a score of 2-5.

Another big event Metea is hosting is a “Dodge for a Cause” dodgeball tournament on Oct. 28 at 6:30 p.m. which is being held in Metea Valley’s main gym. The tournament is an elimination style where the winning teams move on and the losing teams are out for the rest of the game. Teams of six players can consist of teachers and students. Each player joining a team will have to pay $5, so the whole team contributes $30. For more information click here.