Idea Project implements water bottle filler and fountain in commons

By Nirmal Mulaikal
Sports Editor
Photo by Alexis Rizzi

Since Metea’s conception, students have been frustrated that they did not have access to a water fountain or water refilling station in the commons, forcing them to either buy bottled water from the cafeteria or leave the commons to go to a water fountain in a locker bank area.

Recently, MVStuGo’s Idea Project has addressed this problem. Using funds raised through MVStuGo, the Idea Project implemented a water fountain near the restrooms in the commons. The idea was initially suggested last year in a school-wide survey that asked students to suggest new ways for the school to be improved.

“Students will finally be able to access water to drink in the commons. I know that me and many of my friends have already used it and it’s much more convenient than buying a water bottle or leaving the commons to go to the locker banks to drink water,” junior Surya Kukkapalli said.

Kukkapalli, co-founder and head of the Idea Project, worked closely with StuGo sponsors and principal Darrell Echols in order to ensure that the proposed idea was affordable and did not inhibit the piping system currently in place.

“After an idea is proposed, a research and development team looks into the viability and cost efficiency of all ideas proposed, and compiles a list of ideas that is then sent to Dr. Echols,” Kukkapalli said. “Dr. Echols looks at the list to make sure these changes positively impact the school, while also being reasonable. The water bottle filler was one such idea.”

This is the first major project the Idea Project has undertaken since it started last year. A stigma exists about Student Government’s apparent lack of action and impact, the Idea Project has created a tangible, practical solution that addresses student concerns. Kukkapalli and his team look forward to completing more and more projects like this one.

“I think the water bottle filler was a great idea. As a student body, we don’t know what’s happening in student government on a daily basis. With the Idea Project, they directly address our opinions and requests, which benefits the student body the most,” senior Sarnath Chari said.

“With the water bottle filler, I am hoping that student involvement will increase and more people will be excited to bring changes to Metea. The more ideas submitted, the better,” Kukkapalli said.

• C

CarlNov 30, 2015 at 12:54 pm

This has changed my life.

• R

Raj DalalNov 23, 2015 at 5:27 pm

Does Nirmal only write sports/news articles? He is way more dynamic than that.

• R

Ryan CotterNov 23, 2015 at 11:42 pm

^^^^^^

• C

CarlNov 23, 2015 at 10:15 am

This changed my life.