VEI students all over Midwest interact at business trade show

By Prashant Shankar
Online Writer
Photo courtesy of @mvneverending (Twitter)

Students from Virtual Enterprises International sold products and promoted their firms at the Midwest Regional Trade Show, in Pigeon Forge, Tenn. Nov. 22-23. Virtual Enterprises International is a business class where students create virtual businesses and sell products, with virtual money, to firms across the country and around the world.

“The VEI trade show was a place where VEI students can sell different products to other firms and different people coming in as guests,” MetaNova accounting employee Matthew Moy said. “You get to just try to make as many sales as you want. You can also shop at other firms too.”

Students were provided a  budget of $15,000 to purchase products from other firms at the trade show.

“Each student was given a certain amount of money they had that they could spend on whatever products or ideas they thought were the best,” VEI facilitator Pat Brusveen said. “Their idea was to try to get as many people to find their product necessary and useful to purchase.”

Firms from Metea that competed included MetaNova, Apollo, and Never Ending. According to initial estimates, Apollo generated $125,000, MetaNova $110,000, and Never Ending $170,000. Aside from just selling, the trade show held competitions where firms could get awards in categories like best business card, best commercial, and best brochure. Apollo finished in second place for basic web design.

“I worked for Never Ending, and we sell recreational and personal transportation products,” Never Ending Chief Administration Officer John Mathison said. “I believe [our firm] was fairly attractive just due to the amount of people we actually got to purchase our products.”

At the trade show, various products that appeal to high schoolers were on display, in order to attract potential customers.

“[The firms] sell different things like insurance, technological stuff, along with food, and anything you can think of,” Moy added.

The trade show allowed students to understand how real world business works in terms of networking and entrepreneurship.

I learned a lot of skills that are important for the business world,” Apollo Chief Administration Officer Mounika Devakonda said. “I’ve been able to communicate with students from across the country and use marketing skills to sell our products.